Please tell me it gets easier than this? (a whole lot of whining)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a horticulture school or tech school around? They may be able to help you out if you ask.

For what its worth I found that running a box fan blowing at my stack of wet, slightly green wood helped alot. I jsut kept it on low speed and noticed suddely that my wood stopped hissing after the third full day. This wood was birch that I cut in the spring and left the rounds out in the weather till November when I split them.

Incidentally if you have access to any ash, it burns nicely even when freshly felled.

Hang in there, I'm righ there with you scrounging wood for my first year. Things will only get better from here on out.

OK Squngel,

I can see your ad in the personals now...

Man wanted with chain saw and splitter.....

Send photo of saw and splitter! :p

Hope we brought a smile to your face :)

I am a noob burner and I am scouring the forum to find aswers before I ask a question that may have already been asked. However, I feel I have a novel approach to the wood sources. I use a local excavating company to supply my wood. To the tune of $90.00 for enough large logs to amount to about 3 cords of wood. It is even cheaper to have the trunks deliverd uncut. Just my .02

I'm coming in kind of late to this, but I do have a suggestion that hasn't been mentioned: rather than drive a loose pile of branches home to your miter saw, why not set the saw up on the farm and do the cutting there? Or is there actually no structure with electricity anywhere on the property? Even if the farmhouse isn't close to the wood, it would save you driving time and gas to haul your wood over there to cut it up, instead of all the way home.

I also agree with previous suggestions; you should be able to find someone who will do the chainsawing work for you, either in exchange for wood or for an hourly rate. Even if wood is cheap where you live, there are people who would rather use their spare time than their spare money (if it is spare) to get firewood. Since you'll be there too, moving at least some of the wood, that should factor into negotiations. Do you have a splitter? You mentioned making smaller splits. That, too, could be part of a deal--"You saw, I split."

I hope you get things worked out!

Status
Not open for further replies.