Please tell me to stop. I have enough wood, correct?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

davidmsem

Minister of Fire
Oct 30, 2014
New haven, Connecticut
I posted earlier that I scored about 5 cord of oak, so I built a third row of pallets, 60 feet long. I think I will be able to fill this rack after today's pickup (on the ground). I have approximately 4 under cover for this year, and approximately 12-14 cord out on the three rows of pallets. I'm new to this, in my second year of burning. I have enough wood correct? I should stop for a year or two correct? I've given some to neighbors as well. Please....help me....The neighbors are talking and my friends are thinking of a wood intervention.
20160117_161031.jpg
20160117_161037.jpg
20160117_161040.jpg
20160117_161044.jpg
20160117_161047.jpg

It's all relative. I've got 45ish full cord and I don't plan on stopping. :)
Omg. How many do you burn a year? I don't want to top cover, do you? People on this forum say it won't rot up on the pallets, even if not top covered.

I burn 4-6 a year. I do top cover with rubber roofing take-off's. I don't have mine stacked in the greatest location, not by choice but because we live in a wooded area, therefore I almost have to top cover as my wood doesn't see a lot of sun or wind during the summer. :(

Reactions: D8Chumley
I started this season with ~19+ cord, burning around 4-5 a year. This past year I was really busy with work and just recently got to start cutting and scrounging, probably shy of 1 cord. I am thankful the last few years I was able to get ahead enough that only getting 1 cord so far this year will not affect me keeping warm. I say make hay while the sun is shining

Reactions: davidmsem
Others probably won't tell you, but you can definitely take a long break, IMO.

I agree with mass burner to a degree. I'd say you can be more selective on your acquisitions. If you have mostly oak maybe look for some shoulder season type of wood, saving the good stuff for the bitter cold. That's why I'm not stressing- I'm to the point I can be more or less selective. Essentially a wood snob lol

I agree with mass burner to a degree. I'd say you can be more selective on your acquisitions. If you have mostly oak maybe look for some shoulder season type of wood, saving the good stuff for the bitter cold. That's why I'm not stressing- I'm to the point I can be more or less selective. Essentially a wood snob lol
The last Acquisition was mostly oak. I have ash and maple only before this. I've heard on the form about how good oak is so I could not say no.

Reactions: D8Chumley
I must say that is a beautiful site and that shed would look mighty nice behind my home. Matches my stove.

I must say that is a beautiful site and that shed would look mighty nice behind my home. Matches my stove.
I have a copy of the lumber list that is very detailed if you are interested. I have many pics while building...it was a very fun project...I got the idea here then found out about what heating with wood is all about and then, well......you see what has happened to me.

It's all relative. I've got 45ish full cord and I don't plan on stopping. :)

Not top covered, a lot of that is going to rot, especially since you're burning an average 5 cord a year. The 4 year mark is satisfying to me - I can be selective on what species wood I take, and I've got a solid supply of dry wood.

Do you stop saving when you have enough money in the bank to live for 3 years after retirement? Dammit, it is the same thing. Wood C/S/S is money in the bank. There is no such thing as too much but you can have too much visible to the world. When you are far enough ahead on seasoned wood, bring it inside where nobody but you will know about it.

Never have enough! If you need to get rid of some there are plenty here willing to take some off you..........LOL......Like robbing the bank!

You had quite a bit last time I saw one of your threads....now I think you may have outdone yourself. Time to start selling...to me....for cheap... I'm kind of your neighbor. :)

Stacks are looking great. No don't stop, especially with oak. Either you will use it yourself when its ready or you can sell for cash.

You had quite a bit last time I saw one of your threads....now I think you may have outdone yourself. Time to start selling...to me....for cheap... I'm kind of your neighbor. :)

Stacks are looking great. No don't stop, especially with oak. Either you will use it yourself when its ready or you can sell for cash.
Thanks........just having fun sharing....I'm exhausted.....busy weekend.....

Omg. How many do you burn a year? I don't want to top cover, do you? People on this forum say it won't rot up on the pallets, even if not top covered.
That is a fine sight! I don't top cover any of my wood until it is seasoned and moved into my sheds/carports to wait to be burned. Top covering is a waste of time while seasoning. Surface moisture/snow is just that. What you are trying to do is get maximum sun and wind exposure to dry out the inner grain of the wood. Once it is below 20% moisture inside, you can literally throw it outside in a rainstorm for a week and then let the sun dry it for a day and you'll be just fine. Stacking off the ground, however, is essential, preferably in single rows like you have done.

Good work!

Do you stop saving when you have enough money in the bank to live for 3 years after retirement? Dammit, it is the same thing. Wood C/S/S is money in the bank. There is no such thing as too much but you can have too much visible to the world. When you are far enough ahead on seasoned wood, bring it inside where nobody but you will know about it.

But money in the bank is virtual and doesn't need to be stored on your land. Imagine a blizzard that blows all those rows over. If the OP loves to process wood and can't turn it down, fine, sell some of those cords, diversify.

Just slow down and smell the wood. Get a little here and there. Don't need to kill your self anymore.

Not top covered, a lot of that is going to rot, especially since you're burning an average 5 cord a year. The 4 year mark is satisfying to me - I can be selective on what species wood I take, and I've got a solid supply of dry wood.

I burn 4-6 a year. I do top cover with rubber roofing take-off's. I don't have mine stacked in the greatest location, not by choice but because we live in a wooded area, therefore I almost have to top cover as my wood doesn't see a lot of sun or wind during the summer. :(

CentralVA, I totally support and agree with you. I have very punky 5 year dead P. pine, and even it does not "absorb" water uncovered. It is the original moisture inside the cell walls that is slow to release. Surface moisture rotting wood stacked off the ground is a myth in my opinion. The only exception would be high amounts of leaves piling up on the stack over the years, but hitting it with a leaf blower once a year before they start to mat down would largely take care of it I would think.

Please tell me to stop. I have enough beer, right?

Now you see how silly that question really sounds....;lol;lol;lol

Status
Not open for further replies.