Please tell me to stop. I have enough wood, correct?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have roughly double that, davidmsem, and feel like I'm still behind.

You're just looking at this from the wrong perspective. If this is more wood than your house can consume in 2 years, then it's time to add on to the house, not cut back on your wood processing. ;-p

CentralVA, I totally support and agree with you. I have very punky 5 year dead P. pine, and even it does not "absorb" water uncovered. It is the original moisture inside the cell walls that is slow to release. Surface moisture rotting wood stacked off the ground is a myth in my opinion. The only exception would be high amounts of leaves piling up on the stack over the years, but hitting it with a leaf blower once a year before they start to mat down would largely take care of it I would think.
The climate in MT and the climate on the east coast could not be more different.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Do you stop saving when you have enough money in the bank to live for 3 years after retirement? Dammit, it is the same thing. Wood C/S/S is money in the bank. There is no such thing as too much but you can have too much visible to the world. When you are far enough ahead on seasoned wood, bring it inside where nobody but you will know about it.
I have great video cameras around the house should someone get interested in my wood....

CentralVA, I totally support and agree with you. I have very punky 5 year dead P. pine, and even it does not "absorb" water uncovered. It is the original moisture inside the cell walls that is slow to release. Surface moisture rotting wood stacked off the ground is a myth in my opinion. The only exception would be high amounts of leaves piling up on the stack over the years, but hitting it with a leaf blower once a year before they start to mat down would largely take care of it I would think.
Thank you. This is all new. I came to this web site 15 months ago to find plans for a woodshed for my CONVENTIONAL fireplace.....now I have an insert, the furnace rarely goes on, and the neighbors think I'm certifiable, thank you hearth.com. I have been making sure leaves and the like are not building up by using the leaf blower.

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
2 yrs ahead is the max I can get due to space limits. I actually could fit a bunch more, but that is my self imposed limit. It. I have a .5 acre suburban lot so, any more would be tough on the eyes. I am using 2 yr old oak that burns quite well. I feel like more would just take up valuable space. If I had a bunch of acreage though........

Reactions: davidmsem
2 yrs ahead is the max I can get due to space limits. I actually could fit a bunch more, but that is my self imposed limit. It. I have a .5 acre suburban lot so, any more would be tough on the eyes. I am using 2 yr old oak that burns quite well. I feel like more would just take up valuable space. If I had a bunch of acreage though........
I have about 1.6 acres that is mostly open. I would have guessed from the information here that you would have trouble with two year old oak. Good to hear it is burning well for you!

You must not have any family members/neighbors who burn wood, "Hi, gosh, can I borrow a cup of sugar..... I mean, can I borrow a cord of firewood. lol Heck, if you need holiday spending money, $300 per cord if you sell it or buy a fw bundler.

I posted earlier that I scored about 5 cord of oak, so I built a third row of pallets, 60 feet long. I think I will be able to fill this rack after today's pickup (on the ground). I have approximately 4 under cover for this year, and approximately 12-14 cord out on the three rows of pallets. I'm new to this, in my second year of burning. I have enough wood correct? I should stop for a year or two correct? I've given some to neighbors as well. Please....help me....The neighbors are talking and my friends are thinking of a wood intervention.View attachment 172293 View attachment 172294 View attachment 172295 View attachment 172296 View attachment 172297

Very nice.........screw the neighbors ............its all $$$ in the bank.

bob

Never have enough. Like others have said do you stop working because your bank account is nice and full. I'm about three to four years ahead and always looking for more. You can be more selective, but I like to cut split and stack so I'm always interested. I keep saying I'm going to slow down then I come across oak or lately black locust. If it's locust it doesn't matter if it's one log or ten cords I'm looking into it and trying to get ahold of it, and lately everyone I've asked has said its all mine. When you don't really need something it's very easy to ask for it.

You must not have any family members/neighbors who burn wood, "Hi, gosh, can I borrow a cup of sugar..... I mean, can I borrow a cord of firewood. lol Heck, if you need holiday spending money, $300 per cord if you sell it or buy a fw bundler.
I leave all the uglies behind the shed, cover it for them, and tell them often "take anything you want from behind the shed." Now, if those lazy kids next door actually came out and helped me......that's for another post.

Please tell me to stop. I have enough beer, right?

Now you see how silly that question really sounds....;lol;lol;lol

Have another! Buck another! Split another!

Not too many folks here will try to dissuade you from adding to your stacks . . . we're enablers.

Well . . . that . . . and most of us realize that things can happen . . . you could get sick one year and be out of commission for a year or two . . . or you could suddenly find that your wood sources have dried up . . . and then that nice stack will slowly dwindle down.

The nice thing about being far enough ahead though is you can a) be more selective in what you process, b) sell some on the side for some play money (or to buy new equipment) and c) give some away to a worthy and needy friend, family member or neighbor if needed.

If you like doing it, I would just keep doing it. Keep 3 years ahead on hand, and sell the extra. The selling to who part is what I would get selective about, rather than what wood you do up. Can you say 'toy money'?

Thank you. This is all new. I came to this web site 15 months ago to find plans for a woodshed for my CONVENTIONAL fireplace.....now I have an insert, the furnace rarely goes on, and the neighbors think I'm certifiable, thank you hearth.com. I have been making sure leaves and the like are not building up by using the leaf blower.
The ol' leaf blower maneuver! I do the same a couple times a year and it works great. It even blows off a lot of surface dust/dirt/sawdust and keeps the stacks pretty darn clean considering they are fully exposed to the elements.

I have about 1.6 acres that is mostly open. I would have guessed from the information here that you would have trouble with two year old oak. Good to hear it is burning well for you!

The 2 yr old oak tested right at around 20% on fresh split. I mainly split on the medium to small side....probably average about a 4 inch thick split. its also been dry overall in the region ,as you know, so surely that helped. If it was 15%, would it be better.?probably. but no issues with what I've got. What is nice is that you have the space for more than enough wood and still have a good amount of space.

The 2 yr old oak tested right at around 20% on fresh split. I mainly split on the medium to small side....probably average about a 4 inch thick split. its also been dry overall in the region ,as you know, so surely that helped. If it was 15%, would it be better.?probably. but no issues with what I've got. What is nice is that you have the space for more than enough wood and still have a good amount of space.
I have never had the good fortune to burn oak.... I can't wait.

Just $$$ the description of your home. Wow! Picture?
lol... the old regulars might throw something at me if they have to look at another picture of this house!

Last edited:
lol... the old regulars might throw something at me if they have to look at another picture of this house!

Nope . . . most of us appreciate the old classics Ashful. It's a beautiful home.

Make it happen. If I can post the pic of a furry hunk of elm 372 times without a threat, your pics are good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.