Poll - Are my FIL and MIL a little nuts??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Are my in-laws crazy to drive a total of 300 miles to get my son's toys?

• Yes - I would have simply bought new ones.

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • No - I would have done the same thing for my grandchildren

Votes: 14 46.7%
  • Depends - How bored would I be on a -21C day?

Votes: 13 43.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Swedishchef

Minister of Fire
Jan 17, 2010
Inuvik, Northwest Territories
So I had to ask this question to non bias people.

On the weekend my family and I attended a ski resort about 150 miles from here. Sunday we came back. I was packing the vehicle and came back to the chalet one last time to see if we had forgotten anything. I was told that a sweep of the place had been completed.

Long story short we forgot my 2 year olds favorite toys. He had taken them out 45 minutes before we left and placed them in a bed upstairs. They are simply: 3 thomas the train engines! I already found them online and for $50 was going to replace them all. My son was not that upset; he said they were sleeping in the bed at the chalet.

The cleaning staff had not yet gone to our chalet (weird) so my FIL and MIL drove there and back today just to get the toys. In perspective, they are retired and don't get out much. They wanted to go for a little drive...

So poll time!

I don't have kids to relate to the toy thing but I drove 4hrs round trip because I went to the NJ shore after my senior prom and dingbat me left my gown hanging in the closet. The gown was later cut up and burned in a yoko ono-ish art project in college. Haven't thought about that in a long time :)

Reactions: mrjohneel
LOL. But that is a prom dress. This was 3 Thomas and friends train engines! ANd he didn't even cry (although he had a sad face) when I told him they were gone!

Bet they woulda mailed them to you for no charge.

They said that they would speak to management to see what they could do. Since nobody had been to the chalet since Sunday I was getting the vibe that they did not care....ya know what I mean?

Toys-r-us would have been closer and more convenient here.

Sounds like an excuse for a long needed road trip.

Grandparents have an undocumented right to spoil the child. They will go to great lengths to protect that right. Roll with it. Kiss them and thank them for all their love. Your child will outgrow Thomas the Tank Engine, but he'll never outgrow the love that surrounds him.

BeGreen: didn't know you had such a large heart ;) I do appreciate it and my son will certainly appreciate it (to the best of his ability).

Lees: don't think they had time..lol. They were there for 4 minutes or so! lol

On a financial note- if it was more than 100 miles round trip, then you're losing money (not including time, reimbursement rate is like $0.53/mile)

If they just liked the drive, then it wouldn't matter so much.

BeGreen: didn't know you had such a large heart ;) I do appreciate it and my son will certainly appreciate it (to the best of his ability).

Twice!

Reactions: Shane N
It most likely cost more in gas then the toys where worth, but I can understand the motivation. I went dumpster diving for my 2 year old daughters toy horse once. Never ever ever loose horse daddy!

i have been know to do crazy/less than intelligent things for silly/sentimental reasons....in short, I'm a sucker. I also like a nice drive. Kudos to your inlaws.

Everybody is a little nuts. I mean, who's idea of a good time is going out in the woods and throwing weights into a trailer? Oh, right, just about everybody here.

lol. Agreed bmblank.

T - It was certainly nice of them. The best part is that they told us they wanted to go down that way and spend the night to get some shopping done. Well, they went straight down and back.

Not crazy. Its a grand kid and they are retired. I did some extra driving a few times to collect my stepson's misplaced toys. Once because his father refused to!

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Nope not crazy. I bet your son remembers that when he is older. you would be surprised what kids absorb.
sometimes it doesn't matter what it costs

Compared to my family that's not a even blip on the radar!

Nope not crazy. I bet your son remembers that when he is older. you would be surprised what kids absorb. sometimes it doesn't matter what it costs​
He will likely forget this one....he is only 2 1/2 years old. lol. He loves those trains though.

Not crazy. Its a grand kid and they are retired. I did some extra driving a few times to collect my stepson's misplaced toys. Once because his father refused to!
lol. My wife wanted to go back. I said "they are toys he has had for 1 month" (got them at Christmas). Now had he forgotten his stuffed monkey he sleeps with, I would have chartered a plane if need be. It made his grandparents feel good. I guess it was worth it.

Jack: what would/does your family do?

He will likely forget this one....he is only 2 1/2 years old. lol. He loves those trains though.

lol. My wife wanted to go back. I said "they are toys he has had for 1 month" (got them at Christmas). Now had he forgotten his stuffed monkey he sleeps with, I would have chartered a plane if need be. It made his grandparents feel good. I guess it was worth it.

Jack: what would/does your family do?

I think you will be surprised someday..........

Well, sometimes it doesn't take long....

Status
Not open for further replies.