Poplar for Kindling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Riverside_eng

May 25, 2018
Haverhill, MA
I have a bunch of short bits of poplar (4-10 inches, 2 wheel barrows worth). Moved it off some pallets to make room for the next set of normal length stacks.

Is it worth splitting it small for kindling or should I just keep it somewhere to fill in during shoulder season or at the fire pit?

Given the length it is not stuff I can just put on existing stacks. They were in a rough stack of their own but moved for new stuff now.

It is already split down to 4" cross section at the most seasoning since last fall, so just a question on if its worthwhile to split it into a bin of all poplar kindling or should I just leave it in its current blocky form.

Both ways will work. If you need kindling split it down, if you don't then burn it this fall.

If you're talking about tulip poplar, I use the dead small branches that hit the ground. They are superb kindling. So I would expect split tulip poplar, if seasoned enough, to be very good kindling.