Porch stairs replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
I have to replace my porch stairs. ( stringer and all) I bought premade stringers from lowes, but what is acceptable to for the risers and treads? The risers measure 6 5/8 " and the treads are 10"..( which will decrease after I put the risers on)

Daksy is right on this. If you are putting toe-kicks on each riser starting at the bottom, the distance does not decrease if using toe-kicks on each step. The treads usually overhang the toe-kicks a little to give you the proper tread depth. Sometimes if you can salvage the existing stringers, you can trace the rise and run on to the new piece of lumber.

7.5 rise 10 run
use 11 tread to have over hang
all riser must be within 1/8 inch per code
layout and cut carefully
rise can not exceed 7 5/8 or be less than 7

Reactions: woodsmaster
Status
Not open for further replies.