POS tankless water heaters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tiber

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 4, 2009
Philadelphia
While I'm waiting for the township to get back to me about the chimney I thought I would take a look at the other petrol powered stuff in my house. The showers and hot taps in my house rely on the oil burner firing up. The good side of this is that the hot water comes on almost instantly, but the downside is that, even during summer, the oil bill is consistently $250 or more whenever the guy comes.

I was wondering about point of service hot water heaters via electric. There's no shortage of that stuff, but the downside would be buying a unit for each shower and sink. Anyone take the plunge? How much was your electric bill hiked up? Do I need softeners also?

Can't you buy a whole house unit. And POS tankless water heaters means something else to me than point of service. :lol:

I had to open the thread to see if POS meant point of service or piece of XXXX. Sorry, can't help more than that.

Matt

you can find the whole house units at any plumbing supply house. they run on 240 volts but depending on the unit you buy i've seen them run at 17,000 watts. they adjust themselves to the water load like the gas one's do but start off on high. that is a 70 amp draw. if your running a 100 amp service in your house, now you'll have to think about a service upgrade. depending on what else will be running. natural gas or propane is the way to go. cheaper to run. as long as there is not a teen in the house that takes 1 hour long showers :wow:

I have an electric Bosch and love it.

richg said:
I have an electric Bosch and love it.

hi rich

couple of questions.
did it raise your bill much?
how many watts is your unit?
thanks for the info
frank

Frank,

I used to have an electric tank heater, and the Bosch actually cut down my electric bill by $50.00 per month. I believe it is running on 3 240 volt lines. We ran 6-3 wire from the main box to a sub panel, and ran indiviudal circuits off the sub panel. For electric heaters, if you can not see the main panel from the heater you need to install a sub panel. That's code in most states.

POS= Point Of Sale, no....................

Oh, pardon me- I come from the retail/ grocery sector............

richg said:
Frank,

I used to have an electric tank heater, and the Bosch actually cut down my electric bill by $50.00 per month. I believe it is running on 3 240 volt lines. We ran 6-3 wire from the main box to a sub panel, and ran indiviudal circuits off the sub panel. For electric heaters, if you can not see the main panel from the heater you need to install a sub panel. That's code in most states.

wow that's a big dip in cost. 50 dollars, you use alot of electric. you need to have the disconnect in site to shut down if service is needed. do you know the wattage of your heater?

Years ago we had one. It was placed so that we could use it for all of our hot water needs. When we first got it we loved it but soon began to hate it so took it out. Our problem was that, yes, we had hot water on demand, but after you drew some hot water and then shut the water off, the water that remained in the unit got super-heated. So every time you ran the hot water you had to keep your hands out of the way because there would be a short burst of super hot water. After both the wife and burnt our hands bad, we got rid of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.