Heat Pump Water Heaters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Our water pressure is 50/70. We have a 100 micron spin down filter with a water softener. I don't know if I can see the element temps with my app.

I'm not using the app...you can pull it up on the local display...I would think it would be available on the app though too...

I'm not using the app...you can pull it up on the local display...I would think it would be available on the app though too...
Really? I'll have to look into it. Last night my wife finally had a nice hot bath. I put the heater on 140 from 6 to 10 pm and drop it down to 120 overnight. On a positive note the basement was 60 degrees (which for a woodburning man is frigid) lol, and the humidity was 43 percent. I was thinking it was too cold in the basement but the warmer weather is coming and the woodfurnace will keep the heater fed in the winter.

Really? I'll have to look into it
Well, looks like I may be wrong...your controller looks way different than mine...and what's weird is the manual listed for yours (on Menards site) is dated 2016...I bought mine in 2019 so I'd think you'd have the newer style if they changed them...I'll have to look what the build date and manual print date is on mine...

I checked today and dont have the same options. It going to take some getting used to, but I feel we are saving a ton of money. The nice part is our basement actually feels and smells like a normal basement. I dont think the old dehumidifier was either operating correctly or the improvements I've made have been quite the improvement.

I just looked and my manual was printed in 2016 like the current one that is linked to online...obviously they must have different versions of these things...I couldn't find a build date on mine...about 2 years ago would be my guess.

In my obsession, uh, research, I’ve read that the earlier Rheem units gave more data than the newer ones, upper and lower tank temps etc on the on board display. I’d think it’s still available on the app. The Rheem might be to tall for my basement. I wish the AO Smith would get a app, although the fact that I want to monitor my hot water heater is also concerning!

In my obsession, uh, research, I’ve read that the earlier Rheem units gave more data than the newer ones, upper and lower tank temps etc on the on board display. I’d think it’s still available on the app. The Rheem might be to tall for my basement. I wish the AO Smith would get a app, although the fact that I want to monitor my hot water heater is also concerning!
Nah...you a just a gauge guy, like me...I can't stand a truck with only a speedo and a gas gauge...I want a full array of gauges...I have my wood furnace all geeked out too...seriously thinking about a monitor for the minivan that plugs in to the OBDII port that allows you to monitor all kinds of live data...trans temp would be one that I'd be real interested in (dang Hondas and their non serviceable trans filter!)
Wanting "gauges" for your HPWH makes complete sense to me! ::-)

• Haha
Reactions: Rob711 and sloeffle
Also, make sure you flush and check your anode rod on your heat pump water heater. My anode rod was completely gone after 5 years.
I took the top of my old AO Smith HPHW off when I was having issues with a few years ago. I think I'd need every 1/2 extension I have to get the anode rod out. The sides are screwed onto mine but I'm not sure how much "surgery" I want to do in order to get the anode rod out. I kept my old HPHW ( elements still work ) so when I get some time one day I'll have to mess around and see how hard its going to be to get the anode rod out.

trans temp would be one that I'd be real interested in (dang Hondas and their non serviceable trans filter!)
I took the top of my old AO Smith HPHW off when I was having issues with a few years ago. I think I'd need every 1/2 extension I have to get the anode rod out. The sides are screwed onto mine but I'm not sure how much "surgery" I want to do in order to get the anode rod out. I kept my old HPHW ( elements still work ) so when I get some time one day I'll have to mess around and see how hard its going to be to get the anode rod out.
my plan is to pay the plumber ask if he will show me how to to change it out for an extra 50$ and tell him to sell me two rods. Depending on the frequency and volume of the profanity uttered he may even get to do it again;).
Evan

The anode on my heater is below the condenser unit. Rheem says it can not be replaced, though you can find instructions on YouTube on how to check / change it while simultaneously voiding your warranty by systematically digging though the top of the unit.

In my next life, when I come back as someone more mechanically inclined and with a juris doctorate in patent law, I’m going to invent an anode that is outside the main tank and connects to the drain output so you never have go through a big hassle just to check it.

Reactions: sloeffle
I thought mine was serviceable. But I could not remember. It is. Not super difficult. That really sounds like a poor design but I can say I have never seen anode changed in my life.

Attachments

• 7970BAC6-BCBA-4E83-9408-21DB89FDE76E.png
    7970BAC6-BCBA-4E83-9408-21DB89FDE76E.png
    283.7 KB · Views: 185
I just looked mine up...it talks about it having an anode rod, and what its for, but does not mention how to change it, and it does not show on the "available parts" list...grrr...

seriously thinking about a monitor for the minivan that plugs in to the OBDII port that allows you to monitor all kinds of live data...trans temp would be one that I'd be real interested
I have one for my Odyssey. It’s a fun gadget. Trans temp for my 2011 is a non standard output. Reality is knowing the temp doesn’t really do anything for you. If you are towing you should have a trans cooler. And it’s not like I am going pull over in the middle of the long hill to cool anything off. I have the 5 speed with 2 overdrive gears so the OD button kicks it down to third. It’s a crumby design for towing. Still fun to see all the “gauges”.

So.....what is the accuracy of the app as far as electric usage?

So rheem says you cannot change out the anode!!? Huh.

I thought mine was serviceable. But I could not remember. It is. Not super difficult. That really sounds like a poor design but I can say I have never seen anode changed in my life.

That looks like a GE Geospring? On my Geospring the anode rode came right out with a 18 inch 1/2 breaker bar. I think Bradford White bought the Geospring production and still makes them. You can get the anode rod through them.

That looks like a GE Geospring? On my Geospring the anode rode came right out with a 18 inch 1/2 breaker bar. I think Bradford White bought the Geospring production and still makes them. You can get the anode rod through them.
I think you are correct. I was pretty sure it had to be a rebranded product but really didn’t investigate. I wonder if the WiFi smart connector for the geo spring units would work? Not worth the 70$ to try it out to me.

I think you are correct. I was pretty sure it had to be a rebranded product but really didn’t investigate. I wonder if the WiFi smart connector for the geo spring units would work? Not worth the 70$ to try it out to me.

I have the GE WiFi controller on mine. I would imagine it would work. Call Bradford White and ask them as the control panel is identical.

140°F is way too hot IMO for a HPWH.
Yeah, I would agree - the lifetime of the unit is going to go down quite a bit and it will operate more noisily the higher the temperature is. You might want to consider just installing an electric booster heater on the output of the HPWH and setting the HPWH back to 125 degrees or so and get the booster to get it to 140 degrees.

I understand that it is not an option for you to have less than 140 degree water. I deal with similar issues and have managed to negotiate down to 130 degrees. Possible, but painful (the negotiations, not the temperature).

Yeah, I would agree - the lifetime of the unit is going to go down quite a bit and it will operate more noisily the higher the temperature is. You might want to consider just installing an electric booster heater on the output of the HPWH and setting the HPWH back to 125 degrees or so and get the booster to get it to 140 degrees.

I understand that it is not an option for you to have less than 140 degree water. I deal with similar issues and have managed to negotiate down to 130 degrees. Possible, but painful (the negotiations, not the temperature).
I've been playing with the settings and we havent ran out of hot water. I have it programmed for 120 overnight (I set it there after my wife bathes) and I take it up in increments from 120 to 125 to 130 then 140. At 140 I am using high demand mode (which is after 6pm) which uses both elements and heat pump. I've been using between 6 and 9 KWH a day per the app. The first day which was a partial day and I had the settings off and I used 18kwh. My basement had stayed cool and dry and I'm happy. It going have another billing cycle or so, but I think the heater was definitely the culprit. Also the sound is no different from 120 degrees to 140 degrees. It's nice because the heater runs very little throughout the day. The 140 is only so my wife has her scalding bath.

I respect all the monitoring, and will defer to any data you have. But not clear how much you save by doing the daily adjustment cycle. My tank holds temp for 3-4 days.

If you are running hybrid/demand mode, I wonder if its running the element to finish, or something. Hmm.

I just changed from hybrid to heatpump only mode as the basement is 70 degrees now. Wish I could see how much (if any) the element used.

So it's been 19 or so days with the new waterheater. In the time I've used 164 Kwh and around 11 days with the old heater. According to my previous reading on the electric bill, I've used about 1081 kwh this billing cycle. Last billing cycle was 1377 kwh and the year prior was 1590 kwh. I'm excited and I've also noticed as I've been using the woodfurnace, the usage has been lower with the HPWH. That's quite a savings and it will get better next month (that is until the pool starts back up). Also, no more dehumidifier running since the water heater is taking care of the humidity. We currently are in the works of a new heating and cooling system (no ac now) and eventually a new fandangled wood furnace.

Last edited: