Positive or negative draft for my homemade gasifier?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
deerefanatic said:
Ok then. Positive draft it is! (I've always been a positive person anyway! :) )

I'm seriously thinking I'm going to use two of these: http://surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2008060808421424&item=16-1258&catname=electric

Cheap, Hi flow, all metal.... What more could one want?

53 volts DC? What an oddball voltage rating. I'm sure it will run on less, but just wondering what the original application was. It also looks like more of a high flow, low static kinda fan, but what do I know? Let us kow how it goes...

Chris

That one might be a brush style motor (?) that may not last long in continuous duty. The first one had some kind of speed controller built in that is probably worth more than the fan costs. I might just order the 53 volt one for fun to check it out! 25 bucks for that seems like a bargain. The second one looks like it puts out about 100 cfm at 2.6 inches which is in the ballpark, I'm guessing, but it uses 300 watts to do it. Not sure exactly what to recommend for your situation.

Chris

Hm, yah.... the $25 fan is what I've been eyeing... I'm planning on not using the built in speed control right now because I think it won't let me slow it enough.. Though maybe with the static pressure I need it won't need to be slowed down! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.