pre fab partII pic's included

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Warren said:
MSG/Craig...Just curious. What's wrong with a stove sitting in front of a 0 Clearance fireplace? If a full reline dropping into a peice class A that connects to the stove, how is that different than an insert? Also, if the walls around the 0 clearance are done such that they also are fireproof and clearances are observed, what is the problem?

I'm not saying your not right, I'm just wondering what the problem is? How is that much different than a Hearthstone Homestead Hearthmount?

Elk, thanks for stepping in,
Warren, i have the same argument, Why not?? As long as you maintian clearacne, reline the chimney, i dont see a problem with it. The problem, looking at lots of stove manuals the last few days, is that there are only provisions for installing into masonry. So basicly, Stoves arent tested and listed for a ZC install, and ZC's arent listed for a stove install. Off to work i go...

Nacho, you have other options in the Quad line. This morning i was going over these new details with my sales staff and noticed that the Quadrafire 3100 I and the 5100 I are approved as ZC installs.

What we are trying to get accross is that Build in Fireplace Venting is NOT 2100 Rates
So you can not connect a EPA Wood stove to it. You would have to Replace it with Class A pipe or Reline it to NFPA211 standards to be able to install a EPA heater in its place.
Your Flue pipe is only Very Thin walled pipe.

kd460 said:
I'm getting into this kind of late, but my ZC fireplace is the heatilator as well. I found this model was the biggest bang for the buck and fit my insert well. It was installed in the spring, so no real world performance evals yet.

http://www.enviro-fire.com/fireplace-products/wood/fireplace-insert.html

Edit: it is the 1700 model insert.

Please keep me posted on that insert. I looked at the specs on it the other day and am really interested in how it performs for you this winter. That is a beast to have inside a ZC.

That truly does seem like the most bang for the buck. I think we have the same Heatilator ZC fireplaces (Accelerator 36R). I went with the Quadrafire 2700i. It is smaller, but puts out a fair amount of supplemental heat. It doesn't protrude much on the hearth, so that didn't require modification. There was a Quadrafire dealer near me too. Attached are before and after pics.

I thought of that big quad fireplace before I got the insert. As the others said, I think it uses the same flue system. For me, I think it might have just about fit in length and width wise, but the flue wouldn't have lined up with the fireplace outlet, and the chimney chase would have to have modified (if I recall). That fireplace would look pretty good in that stone chimney, if it would fit.

Attachments

• P2230108.JPG
    P2230108.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 578
  • P4250124.JPG
    P4250124.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 569
Brotherbart, it was not that tough to install, the flu lined up just barely, but it lined up. I would not have been able to install it if it did not have the feature of being able to connect the flu collar from the inside of the insert. The quality is there. The welds look good, no gaps, size is true and square, nice solid latch, thick flu collar, good solid hinges. The unit extends 5 inches from the outside of the fireplace opening to the front of the insert, and 9 inches if you count the ash shelf. I was lucky and only had to add one row of tile onto the hearth to keep my clearances.

The blower is variable and is nice and quiet unless cranked on full. It says it can handle logs up to 20 inches, and that is 20 inches both ways. So you can lay them in back to front or left to right. No trouble getting a secondary burn, and that was with a rookie at the controls (me). The blower throws heat accross my family room with no trouble at all. I have not stoked it for an all night burn yet. I don't know how much it will reduce my heat bill as well, but it's gonna be a heck of allot better than it was.

I did not buy the trim surround as they wanted $285 (canadian) for it. I am about done with a fabricated one out of some scrap 3/16" thick metal I had laying around. Just a few more welds, a little grinding, then sandblast and paint. Only problem now is the wife wants me to change out the tile for split stone, so the cosmetic part of the project will last awhile.

I live in Michigan, and my closest dealer was in Canada. With the exchange rate and the waiving of taxes by Canada for larger purchases made in Canada by US citizens, I got a really good deal. The dealer I dealt with deserves a plug as well, they treated me well, and made the purchase really easy. Threw in a few frebies also. I did talk to a stateside dealer, but, it was farther away and I got some bad vibes from him (wanted all $$ up front, plus a shipping charge even though I was gonna pick it up, and he wanted more for it in US dollars than I was paying in Canadian before the exchange rate difference!)

There are better looking units, but the fit was perfect for my application. That was the major reason for the purchase. That and the size of the unit. Sorry if I sound like a commercial, but just wanted to pass the info on. I looked long and hard to find the largest unit I could to fit my fireplace. KD

Thanks for the info. I like the idea of that front to back clearance for the splits. That is something I am going to lose with every stove I have looked at. I am just too used to putting those 24 inch splits in front to back in a perfectly square firebox. Even the ones that claim 22 or 23 sideways lose it after the first firebrick in the front because they taper to the back.

There is a local dealer for Enviro a few miles from here and I am going to drop by. I really would like to buy from the sons of the guy I bought my other stove from but they seem stuck in Harmon/Hearthstone/Lopi land. But I must say they are very fair in their pricing. And the only comparable stove brand they carry is Country Stove whose C310 looks in the running but they only handle Country's pellet line.

(kd460)
How did you connect the flue. Did you heatalator have the 8" flue pipe? Did you reline and if so what type did you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.