Pre-UL Jotul heat panels/looking for quick response!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jem

Nov 20, 2014
Massachusetts
Can I safely and effectively use the UL heat panels on a pre-UL Jotul 118?

I have them here, and they seem to fit, but it almost seems like they are too close to the sides. Also seems like they could fall off rather easily.

These cost a lost of $$ and I want to be sure they will work before I use them.

Looking for fast response as I am travelling to the area of CT where Woodsman's Parts warehouse is; hoping I can return them to save return shipping: these guys are heavy.

Thank you.

Agreed. I'd return them for the proper panels.

Woodmans knows this stove pretty well. The UL plates will work, but they will lack the front support because the UL plates are longer, with a third hole and mounting peg. You may be in a bind though it they are the only source of plates. Have you checked with Preston Trading Post in Preston, CT? If nothing else is out there then you may have to go with the newer plates.

Thanks, Folks.

The UL panels DO work in the pre-UL stoves. The pre-UL panels work only in the pre-UL stoves. We put in the UL panels, as they are sturdier and hopefully will not melt, bend and crack the way the pre-UL panels do. A lot more $$, thought! Problem solved.

From Woodman's website: Jotul, model 118The Jotul 118 was manufactured 1972 - 1983. This stove was available in UL and non-UL models. If your stove uses the side burn plate that mounts with two holes then the stove is non-UL. The UL stove have 3 holes to mount the side burn plates with. The non-UL stove can also use the UL side burn plate for better protection. You cannot use the non-UL plates in the UL stove.

They should last several years as long as the baffle is also in good condition and seated properly. When all parts are seated correctly they fit together to create an inner firebox that controls the flame path. If not fitting together correctly then flames can escape and overheat that area. That causes warping and premature failure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.