PreFab Fireplace Back is Cracked. I am NEW!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MelindaJoRogers

Hearth Supporter
Dec 1, 2009
Victoria, TX
I cannot find the manufacturer for my fireplace. The back inside faux brick part is cracked all the way up the middle. Behind that is a piece of sheet metal. Can I take that part out and line the back with firebricks? Thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• Fireplace 2.jpg
    Fireplace 2.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 505
  • Fireplace 1.jpg
    Fireplace 1.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 508
You just want to use the fireplace as is without adding an insert correct? The fake bricks in the back should be easy to come by to replace. Don't take my word for it but I would think that fire brick positioned correctly would be even better. Don't do anything crazy before you get some more info though!

I think you should go get a tube of refractory repair cement and just fill the crack. You can get it at any fireplace store, or TSC, HD, Lowes etc. Pretty cheep and pretty easy, I think you can repair it right in place. Those things crack a lot from dropping logs in the fireplace. I think you may need to do a few break-in fires after the repair but the label should tell you.

And welcome :)

If you can't find the original rating plate for your unit,
take the whole refractory out & bring it to a local hearth professional.
There are generic vermiculite replacement panels out there that can be
utilized to make new ones to fit your fireplace, using the original as a pattern...

Status
Not open for further replies.