Pressure treated firewood racks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Jun 5, 2015
Southeast CT
I’m going to be cleaning up my firewood storage area and will build some basic racks to stack the wood. I’m thinking pressure treated. Any issues with firewood being in contact with PT wood?

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
The floor of my deluxe woodshed is pressure treated 2x6s. I haven't noticed any problems.

Reactions: Ctwoodtick
I put all my firewood on top of pressure treated 4x4s that sit on the driveway. I say zero problems.

Pressure treated is a natural for wood storage. This isn't to say it doesn't have some chemical content in the first year purchased. But the only place I'm careful is not putting it near a vegetable garden.

Been using pressure treated for years for firewood storage...no worries..

Had my pt racks for 8 years before I disassembled them due to not using them anymore, the beams that contacted the soil did well, the upper 2x4's got attacked by carpenter bee's, but 8yrs for racks is pretty good, considering they sat in a wetter part of the yard.

Reactions: Tar12
I put all my firewood on top of pressure treated 4x4s that sit on the driveway. I say zero problems.

Pressure treated is a natural for wood storage. This isn't to say it doesn't have some chemical content in the first year purchased. But the only place I'm careful is not putting it near a vegetable garden.

Pt wood is considered safe for food contact, arsenic is no longer used in the process. That being said, I'm still not sure if I want to use it for gardens. There are probably more chemicals sprayed on commercial food than what will leach out of the wood.

Reactions: MissMac
I wouldn't use PT for a picnic table the wood still has large amounts of chromium, that's just my two cents. I do use it to get fire wood off the ground works great for that.

the upper 2x4's got attacked by carpenter bee's
Tip: stuff a brown paper sandwich bag with whatever to make it kinda round and hang it near the area the bees are ripping up. They think it's a hornet's nest, and apparently hornets kill carpenter bees, so the bees see it and bail. Done this in my pallet shed for the last three years with no problems from the carpenter bees.

Tip: stuff a brown paper sandwich bag with whatever to make it kinda round and hang it near the area the bees are ripping up. They think it's a hornet's nest, and apparently hornets kill carpenter bees, so the bees see it and bail. Done this in my pallet shed for the last three years with no problems from the carpenter bees.
Learn something new every day. Thanks!

Yes in the old days pt wood contained arsenic. I built a big deck 24 years ago using pt Southern Yellow Pine.
I had about 3 wheel barrow loads of scraps. I piled 'em up and burned them.
Ten years ago I found out that the old pt had arsenic in it. I know arsenic is a heavy metal. It is an element.
I took a soil sample from that burn spot and sent it in to the lab. After 14 years out in the sun and rain that dirt still contained arsenic.
Arsenic in the soil won't wash away in the rain, and it won't combine with some other substance. It just sets there.
They said to not grow vegetables on that spot.

The old formulation of PT wood was CCA- chromium, cadmium and arsenic.
All my stacks sit on PT wood and have done so for 30 years, the later formulation without some of the good stuff does rot a bit faster. My architect buddy told me the other day that you can still get timbers (4 x 4 and 4 x 6) made with the old stuff. Not sure how that's done