Princess project

  • Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

    We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

    We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Sounds like one heck of a bargain! Winters a comin, time to get hustling! I’m working on a princess project myself, hope to be done in the next 2 weeks or so.
 
Sounds like one heck of a bargain! Winters a comin, time to get hustling! I’m working on a princess project myself, hope to be done in the next 2 weeks or so.
No need to hustle as I have a nice lopi insert installed that does a good job. I may swap it out for the Princess, who knows. I just enjoy fixing up stuff, sometimes I keep, sometimes I’ll resell it.
 
[Hearth.com] Princess project

[Hearth.com] Princess project
As purchased, it will get a good cleaning first off, then assess any issues.
 
Man, a good cleaning and maybe a couple fire bricks replaced and it looks like you have a nice unit on your hands. $150 is a steal.
Whats the cat look like?
[Hearth.com] Princess project
[Hearth.com] Princess project
Not very good…. Is this worth cleaning and giving it a try? I’ve never dealt with a cat stove, always been a lowly tube stove burner!🤣
 
Replace it.

Is the flame shield present in front of the cat?

Maybe it was run with too high draft.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Slimdusty
[Hearth.com] Princess project

[Hearth.com] Princess project
I removed the fire bricks for cleaning and discovered a thin layer of insulation under the floor bricks. No way I could salvage it at that point so i just removed it entirely. How necessary is this?
 
  • Like
Reactions: Slimdusty
All in all the stove is in pretty good shape, I did find an issue. Some warping at the bypass area, see pics. Note the small but definitive crack. I am guessing the cat may have plugged
[Hearth.com] Princess project
and the stove was run in bypass mode, causing too much heat here. Just a WAG
[Hearth.com] Princess project
 
The insulation below the bricks looks like it is remnant of the gasket around the cat. Throw it out. No insulation below or behind the bricks.

The warping and crack may be because they operated with the bypass open. Always close the bypass when the cat gauge says active.

With a new cat do get a new gasket. Every time one takes out the cat, even if just to look, one needs a new gasket. So I rarely if ever take out the cat.
 
The insulation below the bricks looks like it is remnant of the gasket around the cat. Throw it out. No insulation below or behind the bricks.

The warping and crack may be because they operated with the bypass open. Always close the bypass when the cat gauge says active.

With a new cat do get a new gasket. Every time one takes out the cat, even if just to look, one needs a new gasket. So I rarely if ever take out the cat.
For some reason BK does put a layer of insulation under the bricks. My princess had it underneath the bottom layer. If it’s damaged I wouldn’t worry about it.

The cat is toast, could be many reasons but the same result. Get a new one.

Ah, the classic melt away bypass gasket retainers. The real weakness of the BK stove design. It is unfortunately very common and not necessarily the result of any abuse. You can buy replacement parts but cutting and welding is required to replace them. Or, you can try and bend them straight and perhaps tack weld the crack. It’s not a terribly important gasket seal but a poorly designed system being non replaceable. The new model S14 has bolt in retainers so you can fix this issue. What I did following BK advice was to use a bottlejack to force the gasket retainers sorta straight.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Slimdusty
Interesting. Insulation. Not in my stove.
Ashes work better anyway...
 
Interesting. Insulation. Not in my stove.
Ashes work better anyway...
I have it in my king as well fwiw. Just on the floor, not the side bricks.
 
There was nothing on my floor. Not sure if it completely desintegrated (despite me leaving an inch or so of ashes on the floor all the time), or that it was never there.
I do have a drawer under the stove, so maybe for heat output thru the floor of the stove it was not needed?
 
For some reason BK does put a layer of insulation under the bricks. My princess had it underneath the bottom layer. If it’s damaged I wouldn’t worry about it.

The cat is toast, could be many reasons but the same result. Get a new one.

Ah, the classic melt away bypass gasket retainers. The real weakness of the BK stove design. It is unfortunately very common and not necessarily the result of any abuse. You can buy replacement parts but cutting and welding is required to replace them. Or, you can try and bend them straight and perhaps tack weld the crack. It’s not a terribly important gasket seal but a poorly designed system being non replaceable. The new model S14 has bolt in retainers so you can fix this issue. What I did following BK advice was to use a bottlejack to force the gasket retainers sorta straight.
I”ll spot weld the crack, but I dont see a need to straighten the warped support piece. What is the purpose of this piece? Additional support? I haven’t looked at a schematic in the manual to see the purpose, but the bypass damper appears to seal well and I dont forsee any issues as long as things don’t continue to warp. I”ll get a new cat.
 
There was nothing on my floor. Not sure if it completely desintegrated (despite me leaving an inch or so of ashes on the floor all the time), or that it was never there.
I do have a drawer under the stove, so maybe for heat output thru the floor of the stove it was not needed?
Yeah this was definitely covering the entire floor, struck me as odd. I had no idea until i started pulling it up while scooping ashes and cleaning, by that time it was no use trying to salvage what was left.
 
  • Like
Reactions: stoveliker
There was nothing on my floor. Not sure if it completely desintegrated (despite me leaving an inch or so of ashes on the floor all the time), or that it was never there.
I do have a drawer under the stove, so maybe for heat output thru the floor of the stove it was not needed?

It's like a thin layer of felt. Almost like something people put on shelves so items don't slide around. On the very bottom, top of metal before any brick. I have a welded on pedestal base with an ash pan plus two layers of bottom firebrick so the felt stuff certainly isn't of much value but it was there.

The bypass gasket retainers hold the bypass gasket in place against the closed bypass door for a better seal. When they melt away there is a chance that the gasket is no longer making contact but whether or not this is important is a tough question. Most of us have noticed that this gasket gets hard and sets basically flush with the heavy steel dome. Is the bypass plate big enough to seal totally without the bypass gasket? I don't know. But I am aware that a little leakage is not a big deal since some folks barely ever replace their cats anyway. It might be something that's in there for that last 0.01 gph of emissions or 0.01% of efficiency on a new stove with a new cat.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Slimdusty and Tron
There was nothing on my floor. Not sure if it completely desintegrated (despite me leaving an inch or so of ashes on the floor all the time), or that it was never there.
I do have a drawer under the stove, so maybe for heat output thru the floor of the stove it was not needed?
Under the bricks, between the bricks and the metal base of the stove just so we’re clear. The mention of leaving an inch of ash just wanted me to clarify.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Highbeam
Under the bricks, between the bricks and the metal base of the stove just so we’re clear. The mention of leaving an inch of ash just wanted me to clarify.
Yes, when I take my bricks out from the floor, no insulation.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Dieselhead
This piece that is circled, is it just a support to tie both sides together for strength? Is it necessary to try to straighten out?View attachment 349375
That is the idiot stick. It keeps folks from jamming a piece of wood into the bypass opening and having a real fire! I'd cut it free on both ends. New models do not use it.

BKVP
 
Yes, when I take my bricks out from the floor, no insulation.
We did install the blanket in some models to protect floor temperatures.

BKVP
 
  • Like
Reactions: stoveliker