Proper installation through cinder block

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

markrcosta

Nov 11, 2015
Cazenovia, NY
Hello,

First time post, although I've read many others. This is a great resource.

I am installing an insulated 6" chimney liner in my existing chimney. The liner will drop down into the basement, where a cinder block wall sits between the chimney and interior wall of the basement. The pass-through the cinder block is lined with a tile, I'm not sure what kind because it was put in before I bought the house. The previous installation had a double walled stove pipe cemented into the pass-through, dumping the smoke right into the chimney.

My question is, what is the proper set up to connect a double walled stove pipe to the snout on the tee? Should I
  1. Get a 22" tee snout and bring it into the room, then cement it in?
  2. Cement the existing 6" tee in the back of the pass-through and run a double walled stove pipe into the pass through?
  3. Cement the existing 6" tee in the back of the pass through and run a double walled stove pipe into the pass through, and then cement in the double walled pipe?
The pass through is 12" square and 17" deep to the inside wall of the actual chimney. 1111151256.jpg

1111151256.jpg

Attachments

• 1111151255.jpg
    1111151255.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 282
Last edited:
Greetings. By double-wall pipe do you mean insulated chimney pipe (stainless steel outside) or double-wall connector pipe? They have different clearance requirements. If you can post some pictures of the current setup that would be helpful.

Greetings. By double-wall pipe do you mean insulated chimney pipe (stainless steel outside) or double-wall connector pipe? They have different clearance requirements. If you can post some pictures of the current setup that would be helpful.
Thank you for responding.
Pictures uploaded. It will be double-walled connector pipe on the inside, which will connect to the snout on the tee.

6" double-wall connector pipe needs a minimum of 6" clearance from any combustible (including wood paneling and framing) to the sides and below and 9" clearance above.

Okay, thank you. So I can pull back the paneling around the pass-through, but how do I handle connecting the snout on the tee to the double-walled connector pipe?

Good question. This connection has to occur so that it is well protected by the brick. From the pictures that looks like it would take a short tee snout. Some connector like Metalbest is crimped and may fit inside the snout. Otherwise the snout end will need to be crimped with a crimping tool so that if fits in the connector pipe. This may be easier to assemble before the snout is attached to the tee, maybe with a 12" piece of connector pipe?

Assuming the tee is made by the maker of the liner, get the double-wall connector pipe from the same company. If everything is made by the same company, it should all fit together. You could also call or email the maker to make sure.

Also what is behind the tile to the right od the opening? If it is just tile over a combustible wall you will still need the 6" clearance.

Also what is behind the tile to the right od the opening? If it is just tile over a combustible wall you will still need the 6" clearance.
the tile is attached to cement backerboard. behind that are wood studs. So yes, I'll need to maintain the 6" clearance. Luckily I have at least 8" to play with, if not more.

Assuming the tee is made by the maker of the liner, get the double-wall connector pipe from the same company. If everything is made by the same company, it should all fit together. You could also call or email the maker to make sure.
Okay, I'll call the company I purchased the liner from. I got the pre-insulated liner as I heard it is much easier to work with if you have a straight shot in the chimney (which I do).

Status
Not open for further replies.