Proper Thermostat Location

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soupy1957

Minister of Fire
Jan 8, 2010
Connecticut
www.youtube.com
When my Avalon Rainier 90 was installed, I also had a thermometer (magnetic mount) ready to place. The Installer showed me how the overhang above the door was hotter than the top of the unit, and recommended that I locate it on the angled overhang. I placed it near the right end of the overhang. Typical readings for my hot burns are no higher than about 650ºF in that location.

Yesterday, messing around before I fired up the wood stove, I moved the thermometer to the middle of the overhang, and it registered temps in excess of 750ºF, which was about 100ºF higher than when it is located on the right side of the overhang. Of course, over the top of the fire (although in this case, in FRONT of the fire, center), would be the hottest, but........

Which location is giving me the truer reading? Where would YOU recommend the thermometer be mounted?

-Soupy1957

Even more pertinent: where does Avalon Customer Service recommend the thermometer be mounted?

Dan,
I've e-mailed them for their thoughts (the manufacturer).
-Soupy1957

You mean to say thermometer, right? Place it where it reads the hottest unless otherwise specified by Avalon.

Yes........pardon............thermometer.........my "bad"

The wood stove supplier (Dean's Stove & Spa) in my local area, said they thought that the thermometer should be in the center of the angled flange.......makes sense I guess.

-Soupy1957

Status
Not open for further replies.