proper way to install new to us windows

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jeanw

Feeling the Heat
Sep 23, 2008
ky
we arent new at this. Mostly been DIY ers all thes years
but like I mentioned on here quite often this money pit house is our purgatory.. The old windows are all fogged and no screens....
Hubby installed two Jeldwin windows in walkout basement., with a view.. beautiful job. They are acceptable(rather of had pella Designer... ah well anyway... Kitchen are also Jeldwin DoubHung ... I dislike but can prob live with...
Big prob also we bought used awnings to go over most windows... So casements would hit them
WE need awnings cause no near mature trees to shade house.
the brick really holds the heat
well anyway bought some nice used Pella mostly casement windows.. earlier this year off C list;)
had a guy we know , I paid him to drive the 2 or 3 hrs to get the last batch. so we have windows galore in newly built shed...but very few will fit w/o some work....bought windows from 6 sources SO FAR.... since 2012
We do have the roll of that shiny Pella tape(ebay find)..., plenty of caulk, the windows still have fins on them. should we use the pink "sill" stuff too.
what are the best steps to put back in the "new to us " ones..? I want a tight sealing and great proper install. even though we have a patio cover over that deck "porch.. I am concerned about the casment top hitting the patio support( Used, too) when opening.
unfortunately the ones are casements and I will lose the "picture view of a wide center window... the rough opening is approx 104 wide. I bought 3 sets of mulled together.
two sets will fill the space. I only paid $200 for those plus a single DH... I priced a center stationary window new and its like 800 or so...just for the window
Had A LOCAL GUY ANSWER OUR RADIO AD HE WANTS $700 PLUS to install....Hubby balks at that... Maybe the brick sill has to be redone.. since we been here had very liitle done RIGHT...
Hubby says stay off of CL....;)..:) He says he tired of all thes projects...well I wanna see out window. as we finally have some nice view from this purgatory hiilu place
Other day found a better deal.... the Double Hung set is like 94 wide or so inches. like $200 .. what a bargain... Its double hung 94 " total or so wide and no problems on height will need to just fill in at top., BUT ITS like 3 hrs away one way:(:p:eek::rolleyes:
I know if I settle for the two sets of casements I will crybaby and whine ...:p:rolleyes:.. drive Hubby cuckoo
a guy on CL, up around Cincinnati gets Pella cast offs.They(Pella) used to have a Garage sale for returns etc..
:eek:.He called me back and said he had no center windows with what I needed.. Dang
well long story short what is proper way to flash etc.. ? so people years from now dont say "those jury riggin former owners" like I do most days for the original decesed owners. Use the cheapest crooked stuff.. yeah I know we are not supp to speak "ill of the dead";lol;hm
thanks yall

Your story is mighty long with lots of winks, tongues and bug-eyes. I moved on before finding out what you wanted. Maybe just the basic and simple facts and a succinct question will get better results.

Your story is mighty long with lots of winks, tongues and bug-eyes. I moved on before finding out what you wanted. Maybe just the basic and simple facts and a succinct question will get better results.
Agreed. I find it hard to follow your posts and tend to give up.

Ok, I think you are having trouble installing windows. This is compounded by your windows coming from so many sources.

There are 2 types of windows, new construction and replacement. They are made for different purposes, but replacement windows can be installed in a rough opening also. It's harder though. How I'd do it is measure a new window and figure out which hole it should go into. Then modify the window opening to get it close to the window size. Then you can shim and secure the window in the opening. Apply the outside trim and waterproof the installation. Foam the inside to create a draft free installation. Apply interior trim.

I assume from your post that you are trying to put incorrectly sized windows into a brick sided house? In my professional opinion as a carpenter, your f*cked. That is not a job for a diyer and the price of $700 is a steal.

"so people years from now dont say "those jury riggin former owners" like I do most days for the original decesed owners."

The solution to that would be buy the correctly sized windows for the opening. The dollar savings from buying used ones of incorrect sizes will waste away in trying to properly get things patched up & looking semi-normal.

Last edited:
yall are so full of beans.typical guys.... you know us women , we want it just so.
Typical guys... dont like us women elaborating... Just git to the point right? sorry I bore yall ....
we have yet hired any so called professionals, do stuff 100%...
Except maybe the electrician, When we had pole moved from back of house ...just short distance from house ..... to out front close to street....... and paid licensed electrician to redo the service and do buried service instead of aerial...
Course I asked Hubby to watch them and make sure nothing was sloughed off.

We have been DIY for over 40 years now for three houses... I am the luckiest woman to have suh a talented Hubby who puts up with me
I am not going to pay the price of NEW windows.......I want what I want.... Not going to pay some yawho 700 dollars to do what .. We can pay this guy we know who helps us once in a while so much an hour..... Like we did before.
yall never mentioned anything about sealing tape flashing tape etc
I just wish I never sent Hubby to buy the one last week, big pic window. the dang center stationary window is so large. It is going to be an energy hog.... I should have just settled for the smaller width casements and just close up the sides and put shutters to cover up the sides, of course plywood backed and redrywalled on inside..
but using the those casements does away with the view and they might hit the patio cover when opening...
we did that in our former home and it looked great....cause the original windows openings were so large. built in the 1950s
thanks for listening yall

sounds like you're going thru a lot of trouble for something that could of been a heck of a lot easier....but you want what you want, and I get that, believe me, been with my wife 36 years, but when it came to doing windows in our house, it was replacement all the way....had 11 of them installed, and a Picture Window....in two days....had a buddy put them in for us....soooooo much easier as they fit the opening. All this driving, hunting and modifying takes time and $$$....not sure what kind of savings you're actually seeing.

Jeanw, i rather enjoyed your posts, felt like I was hearing from someone I normally wouldn't hear from-- refreshing.

But I do agree that that replacing windows this way usually leads to more trouble and expense. As a DIY guy myself, I need to always calculate the cost of both DIY and outsourcing.

Most window manufacturers have install pdf that a paper copy may have been supplied with a new window.

"so people years from now dont say "those jury riggin former owners" like I do most days for the original decesed owners."

The solution to that would be buy the correctly sized windows for the opening. The dollar savings from buying used ones of incorrect sizes will waste away in trying to properly get things patched up & looking semi-normal.
No way would I spend the money it would require for proper sized
those doubled pane will eventually fog....

Seriously, no one can help you with the descriptions you give. Pictures and measurements are a good place to start.
well just general info. The one "new" window...Pella sticker, doesnt go into detail Just mention caulk behind the fins.... shimming etc....nothing about flashing..But we also put the" Pella alum. looking tape"(bought online) over the nailing fins. I hope they put it(alum tape) under the sill too... I should have taken pics....with each step... Guy also doing the pvc brickmold. He wrapped the sill in our whit alum coil stock we have
I should have cried and whined for them to have used pressure treated for the framing (esp new wooden sill...cause the jack studs was very "termited".
who knows what shape the rest of the house studs are ...
We had it"Termidored"....but its only got so many years benefit....we are paying a yearly $95 RENEWAL and yearly inspection...
Later We also think it was treated previously.... found drilled spots in the concrete. But no records were found. The local exterminating company found no records of prev. applications. But then again(orinal decased owners) they may have used an out of town ext company.
so Hubby finally talked me into the big used pic windows. One big stationary and two flanking double hungs all prev mulled together...
Just a saying yall.. unfort. this is our 3rd house we put "new" windows in.... sick of doing so, too dang gone old

Reactions: Farmstove
well just general info. The one "new" window...Pella sticker, doesnt go into detail Just mention caulk behind the fins.... shimming etc....nothing about flashing..But we also put the" Pella alum. looking tape"(bought online) over the nailing fins. I hope they put it(alum tape) under the sill too... I should have taken pics....with each step... Guy also doing the pvc brickmold. He wrapped the sill in our whit alum coil stock we have
I should have cried and whined for them to have used pressure treated for the framing (esp new wooden sill...cause the jack studs was very "termited".
who knows what shape the rest of the house studs are ...
We had it"Termidored"....but its only got so many years benefit....we are paying a yearly $95 RENEWAL and yearly inspection...
Later We also think it was treated previously.... found drilled spots in the concrete. But no records were found. The local exterminating company found no records of prev. applications. But then again(orinal decased owners) they may have used an out of town ext company.
so Hubby finally talked me into the big used pic windows. One big stationary and two flanking double hungs all prev mulled together...
Just a saying yall.. unfort. this is our 3rd house we put "new" windows in.... sick of doing so, too dang gone old

well the "friend" guy installed the 3rd one ... I had to settle for the used big picture one( 3 mulled together) unit/ Looks good but going to be an energy hog.
He had to replace wooden sill and used PT for top and sides...Unit only about 5 inches shorter less wider than old set... so will used "wide "moldings inside. Used PVC boards as much as possible on perimeter moldings.. brick mold etc...
unfortunately it has a little rot on the corner of the center fixed window. Hubby replaced the wood underneath and aluminized and cauked it,before installing.
He will Bondex or "Hard as Rock" the small rotten area...
Nice to have "screens" and unfogged windows.....after 5 yrs....be even nicer if prev owners had the windows prepped for between the glass shades...
4 fogged windows still need replacing...

Last edited: