Proud moment!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cfran88

Jul 11, 2019
Central Ohio
Yesterday I cut into a piece of locust that I scrounged last year. It was about 17%. I suddenly filled up with pride because this was from one of my first scrounges. I thought about how I was hauling wood in my tiny prius until I convinced my husband to let me buy a beater truck. Splitting log after log in my 6.5 ton electric splitter. Learning on an electric chainsaw and my husband getting me a Stihl for Christmas. Having a couple cords in the backyard getting ready for next year. I know this is probably old hat for many you but being a city girl, this was a big accomplishment for me.

Attachments

• 20201026_191323.jpg
    20201026_191323.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 235
You deserve to be proud. :cool:

There's nothing like enjoying the fruits of our own labors, and feeling the warmth of a fire that's the result of our planning, work, and patience is very satisfying.

I share your joy as well. I love the feeling of doing this on my own. Other wood burning people come to my house and admire the stacks. I help others when I can. The heat is so much better and not to mention its just super relaxing to sit in front of the fire..

Delayed gratification is the best kind ;)

Reactions: Cfran88
Good on ya, my wife is realizing that splitting and stacking is very relaxing. I was splitting kindling last week and she took over and worked on it for a while and said no wonder you have been out here so long. It was 70F and Sunny, had two big poplar rounds stacked made a nice table. Keep at it and you will continue to be rewarded.

Good on ya, my wife is realizing that splitting and stacking is very relaxing. I was splitting kindling last week and she took over and worked on it for a while and said no wonder you have been out here so long. It was 70F and Sunny, had two big poplar rounds stacked made a nice table. Keep at it and you will continue to be rewarded.
I enjoy it very much. I listen to a nice book as I work. It was something I completely handled myself. I'm pregnant now so my husband has to help with with lifting. Now he wants to argue with me about how to stack the wood (nevermind the stacks that have been standing since last year when I did them) and about cutting and splitting of the wood. OK Mr "didn't even know how the use the before last weekend" :rolleyes: I want my "me time" back!!:(

Last edited:
I enjoy it very much. I listen to a nice book as I work. It was something I completely handled myself. I'm pregnant now so my husband has to help with with lifting. Now he wants to argue with me about how to stack the wood (nevermind the stacks that have been standing since last year when I did them) and about cutting and splitting of the wood even. OK Mr "didn't even know how the use the before last weekend" :rolleyes: I want my "me time" back!!:(
We do the same thing, she starts stacking it looks crooked and wobbly and I try to run two rows parallel about 6-10" apart so that I can cover with a 4ft tarp. My rows take me absolutely forever but look straight and rigid, well after I bragged last week we haven't had any fall...guess what 1 of mine fell. I owned up and admitted it to her she was more upset that we have to restack then she was happy it wasn't hers...:(

Nice post Cfran88. Glad you found this rewarding hobby.
I tell my wife (also a city girl) all the time about the satisfaction I get from the process.

You should be proud of yourself. Most here grew up with a fireplace or wood stove. So to go from a city girl to a wood gitl is an accomplishment. My wife does nothing except say put more wood in.

Reactions: TreePointer
As a city boy, I know exactly how you feel. You have seen that locust come full circle for you. Actually, most importantly, you had a plan, stuck to it, and now are seeing how the wood pays you back. Good work!

My proud moment today was last year about this time of year I cut up some standing dead ash that still had the bark on it, I also didn’t have access to a splitter so the pieces stacked were rather large. tried to burn some in march, but it was too wet, water boiled out of it, so I set it off to the side
Got more wood out of the wood shed yesterday and loaded some of that ash, split some of it today and it read 18%, and tested some big cherry splits that were in the shed but were near the front and bottom of the stack and they are 19%. Pretty happy since they habitually got rain on them and were only a pallet above the ground.

Congratulations. Always great to hear another gal who loves this as much as I do. Other ladies want jewelry for their birthday but last year I got my husband to get me a 27 ton wood splitter. When people come over they admire the wood stacks they think my husband did or how nice my husbands wood stove is. Lol, he doesn’t even know how to light it. It’s very rewarding to heat with wood. Love to sit by the fire and read or have coffee in the morning. When the snow is falling outside and you have a nice warm fire going Is priceless. The whole process of gathering wood rounds, splitting them, stacking the splits Is free therapy for a busy life.