Pulled the trigger on a HPWH

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No earthly idea where that recommendation came from. I just pulled up two different GE model manuals, including my own, and searched Drain and absolutely no where in any of them does it say to drain monthly. The only maintenance you might have to do with a HPWH is clean the filter on the top since it's moving air. Mines been running for a while and not even remote dirty despite being in a basement.
Says on page 12 in the owners manual under flushing the tank,, every month.. We are talking quarts not draining the entire tank..

Says on page 12 in the owners manual under flushing the tank,, every month.. We are talking quarts not draining the entire tank..

Hmm... if I had that plan I think I'd find a way to hook up a permanent hose/pipe to that drain so it could be done in minutes. My old electric tank had a drain that I would hook a hose up to and run it out the back door (walkout basement), but I only did it every couple years. Takes longer to find the hose, get it hooked up, then pull it out (without making a mess on the floor) etc than let a few quarts of water out.

Like I said, that would be a deal breaker for me. Maybe that is to get out of warranty claims? I checked the Sears manual for their next hwhp model above the Geospring and there was no mention of monthly draining for maintenance.

Do they have a decent valve on the bottom of the Geospring? Most HW heater valves are cheap plastic crap that drip after you use them once or twice.

Valve petcock on my Geo has a straight blade slot to open and shut the drain.. Easy to use.. My Geo sits on some termite blocks in my 1740 laid up foundation wall basement. Plenty of room to attach a garden hose to exit the water to my gray water clean out trap.. I always attach a brass cap on all of my waste valves.. Doesn't matter if they drip.

Our HW is in a crawlspace utility pit. It's lower than all the drains including the septic cleanout. That means a long hose to outdoors until it gets below tank level. Draining is not a simple chore.

Status
Not open for further replies.