Purchase made - Froling S3 with dual 240 gal Storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Newfiestang

Jan 5, 2017
NL
Not a concern if your loads pull from top of storage. That's where the hot from the boiler will go as soon as it puts it out.
And until both wood boiler and storage have reached setpoints programmed in Froling the system is still on oil as well.

But i like the different viewpoints, it makes me think towards potential problems with the system, thats what this is all about.

I do think i will put a zone valve in on the DHW piping somewhere to minimize the ghost flow there as i can see this as a definite possibility. Right now my simple fix for this is to use a 120VAC zone valve so I can have it open or close with the DHW circulator which is power and controlled by the Froling. Plan would be to have it located very close to pump for ease of wiring from a close by junction box supplying both.

Does this sound ok.

1616419575532.png

hyfire

Minister of Fire
Aug 3, 2013
Ont, Canada
Not a concern if your loads pull from top of storage. That's where the hot from the boiler will go as soon as it puts it out.
So if the tanks are cold and the wood boiler kicks in the way he has it piped i the load won't pull from the cooler tank and the boiler feed at the same time and mix the temp in anyway? I cant see it happening this way.

Last edited:

chew72

Oct 27, 2009
NS, Canada
It depends on flow. From cold my tanks are at 80F so my boiler is putting out 2.5 to 3 gpm of 160F hot water. The typical cold temp of my storage is 110F so that's more like 5gpm of 160F But yes if he is using more water than what the boiler can supply cold storage water will mix.

maple1

Minister of Fire
Sep 15, 2011
Nova Scotia
So if the tanks are cold and the wood boiler kicks in the way he has it piped i the load won't pull from the cooler tank and the boiler feed at the same time and mix the temp in anyway? I cant see it happening this way.
Not going back to look. My loading unit (boiler circ) pumps faster than my load circ. So no, not a concern in my simple and well working system. Honestly I see a lot of over complications in some setups. Or they are in my mind. Not saying that is the case here - too lazy right now to go look and I'm barely awake.

chew72

Oct 27, 2009
NS, Canada
In case your interested in what the profile of the S30 to 500 gallons of storage looks like with almost no load. We're out of the cold days here now so it's not very helpful on the load side. The little spikes at the end seem to be the unit shutting down, and the spike is the circ kicking on for 5min due to the heat from the coal bed.

PXL_20210406_033336020.jpg

chew72

Oct 27, 2009
NS, Canada
It's a weintek HMI combined with an Allen-Bradley, Micro 800 series PLC. If you can understand ladder logic and have a bit of electrical experience it's certainly achievable.

Having burned this winter to me the minimum amount of information I would like to have is knowing the temperature of the next 500 gallons available to the boiler. In the case of a single 500 gallon tank that would just be the top and bottom temp. My 1000 gallons that would be top bottom and middle. That allows me to ballpark whether I load the boiler full again or not.

The midpoint temperature on the top half is helpful for knowing do I make a fire when I get home or can I wait till after supper and the kids are in bed. The bottom midpoint temperature doesn't provide as much useful information. It's more for balance and Feng shui.

If you'd like any more detail or had questions maybe post to my install thread Here to keep me from taking over this one :)