QF Castile question...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the Castille. I run mine mostly on medium.....when it dips below 25 or so i use high at times....but for the most part i use medium and low......I set my wireless auto thermostat at 80 and never touch it.....love the stove and thermostat. As for the burn pot.....i dump it once a day(takes seconds).....then once a week I do a thorough. If you dont dump the burnpot once a day.....if you do put it on high and sometimes on medium you will get a rumbling noise because the air holes in the pot start getting plugged.

Have no regrets at all with the Quad. :)

Great replies I hope I get my stove before winter!! Mr MainePellethead...you mentioned you dump the burnpot each day...I assume this is by pulling the Firepot rod out a few times? do you have to shut down the stove and wait till the combustion fan stops to do this? Thanks

peirhead said:
Great replies I hope I get my stove before winter!! Mr MainePellethead...you mentioned you dump the burnpot each day...I assume this is by pulling the Firepot rod out a few times? do you have to shut down the stove and wait till the combustion fan stops to do this? Thanks

Yes....on pulling the fire pot rod....plus make sure theres no clinkers etc. stuck in it......all I do is turn the Thermo stat down way below room temp.....so I know it isnt going to come back on....most of the time i wait for the blower to shut.....but not always.....

Ditto to Maine here, turn the stat down, let the fire burn out, scrape and dump. A little trick for you if you don't already know it... When you are brushing and/or vacuuming out the stove, turn the stat all the way up and then immediatly all the way down before you clean. This turns the combustion fan on for a few minutes and helps suck the dust from cleaning out the vent and not into the room. I typicall burn on high with the thermostat set most times, it get cold here and the stove is usually working pretty hard. Love the stove.

tonyd said:
Running your stove on medium with the stat on 80 what is your fuel consumption? Roughly Thanks new castile owner.

I burn approx. a bag or less a day.....never over a bag a day. but I cant tell you how long I have it on medium and low because it just depends on how warm or cold the outside is. My house is pretty tight....

Sounds good. That's what I was expecting to get out of my Castile. I was using a kerosene heater to keep the chill down in my rec room downstairs . When kero went to $4.85 a gallon, even that got expensive. I think I'm going to enjoy the pellet stove.

tonyd said:
Sounds good. That's what I was expecting to get out of my Castile. I was using a kerosene heater to keep the chill down in my rec room downstairs . When kero went to $4.85 a gallon, even that got expensive. I think I'm going to enjoy the pellet stove.

You will enjoy it. I live in Maine....had mine installed on Jan 8th. of this year and from Jan. 8th til the end of season I burned $340.00 worth of pellets.... saved $$$$ Would of cost me much more in oil. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.