Quad 4300 door gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Canuckdiehard

Dec 1, 2021
Smithers
MOD edit: Moved to its own thread

I have a QF 4300 from 2009.. step top model. I noticed I could see into the firebox when the door was sealed shut with new 3/4” gasket installed ( not stretched but installed with minimal tension on the rope) ( 16”/inch gap visible).. I did a bit of farting around with the gasket and reconsidered how the gasket was glued in.. turns out the gap in the gasket was because the corners of the gasket track are too deep. The rope / gasket you install needs to be installed as close to outside perimeter as possible. Otherwise there are indentations at the corners that cause the gasket to lose volume and not give a good seal. Once I did this I noticed and adjusted, the fire could be more effectively dampered down and you as a result get a longer burn. QF has issues with air leakage that happens at a few areas that compromises burn time and can lead to over firing.
I put a flashlight inside to ilustrate the gap with newly installed gasket..

DB902908-64C8-40E8-A0EA-C1DBA4AA0808.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Was this gasket aftermarket or the OEM part 832-1680?

Have you put a straight-edge on the door to check for warping?

i bought the gasket from outfit that sells the QF 3400. I did not check for warpage but that is a good point.. I will give that a look see.. they are so beefy this never occurred to me.. I have to say adding the gasket to outer perimeter and avoiding the dimple at the corner has changed the rate the wood burns and the heat it reaches when getting lots of air.. not to the point of damping the fire out..