Quad Castile Experiment Revisited

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm up for learning about the modified door. My Castile still has the airwash at the top, which doesn't work worth crap and when I open the door, I get ashes on the 'boss's' floor. NOT GOOD.

Czech said:
tjnamtiw said:
Turbo-Quad said:
Now that you put it that way it makes sense to me. That's a nice gain.

Great!!! You're next!!! :)

I wanted to be next darn it! My stove area looks like Jay's from this weekend, been testing pellets and have jars full of ash all over. Toss in some springs and stuff and all will be perfect. All those posts about installing in a basement, and no one ever mentions "because I'm a mad scientist and have stuff all over" to the list to justify having the stove downstairs rather than in the livingroom.

Czech, You been peeking in my windows? My basement sounds just like what you discribed. I am afraid to even post a picture of my "so many started-unfinished projects" down there its scary!

I moved the microscope up to the living room last week, too hot down stairs. Really. The door gasket trick preserves the airwash, I'm just not suggesting it unless you're up for some tweaking, it took me a while and a new wash baffle from jtp to perfect. Tj, does your stove have a baffle at all? I know some inserts do not, not sure what you have? Basically need to adjust the baffle to make up for the lack a gasket material between the glass and frame. I also need to get the pile of cultured stone on the hearth walls, they been 'curing' in a pile for 4 years now, someone told me they 'cure' after you put them up? Don't tell miss CZ. I do have marks on the sheet rock where each stone will go, not sure how well that will work once I get the wire lath up, be hard to see the marks then, huh? My test this last weekend was on the Indecks, last year and this year lots as I saw some significant difference. Then the Noah's bedding pellets from West Oregon Wood Products (Blazers). No picts for now on this one bag each study, but the last year Indecks had close to 3/4 of a mason jar, this year a half a jar, Noahs an 1/8 or so a jar. Note these are all 'premium' less then 1%. I started looking at the tubes and convection fan, then said hell with it and went ice fishing, it was 40 plus degrees. I'll trade a Sunburst fire screen or two for springs and/or turbs <insert smiling eye rolling whistling guy here>.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Czech said:
tjnamtiw said:
Turbo-Quad said:
Now that you put it that way it makes sense to me. That's a nice gain.

Great!!! You're next!!! :)

I wanted to be next darn it! My stove area looks like Jay's from this weekend, been testing pellets and have jars full of ash all over. Toss in some springs and stuff and all will be perfect. All those posts about installing in a basement, and no one ever mentions "because I'm a mad scientist and have stuff all over" to the list to justify having the stove downstairs rather than in the livingroom.

Step right up Czech,

Your assignment should you choose to accept it is to install a larger convection blower on your stove. I understand that the cooler you can keep that side of the heat exchanger the more heat you can extract from the fire.

Now let's not go overboard and find a 3000 CFM blower because likely your stove would toss its electrical cookies trying to run that thing.

Remember doing modifications likely voids your warranty and invalidates all certifications.

I have an ulterior motive here so best I disclose it now, I'm going to be replacing my convection with a larger flow one before the season ends. So I need a lab rat to test the theory.

Then another person can pull everything together in sort of an ultimate test.

Post up a link to the bigger fan, and I will try it, my fan is 9 years old anyways, so I could use a new one.....

Yea, our Castile/Sante Fe's take a double squirrel cage gizmo. Now if we took TWO of those and manifolded them................................. That would move some major air.

Or this might work if we mounted it with outputs facing up but we'd have to neck them down, I think. Pretty tight squeeze. https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=16-1405&catname=electric

I haven't looked at the blowers on the stoves you have tj, but unless the 125 CFM was for each side that 125 CFM is a bit on the small side, there is a double barreled version of the 230 I have but it wouldn't come close to fitting in the cramped quarters I'm dealing with.

tj

this would bump you up to over 200 CFM. Same as what my Omega had stock. The largest I have is from the enviro maxx stove and I stuffed one in mine. But my stove does have the same chassis as the maxx so I cheated.

50-1659 Probably wouldn't fit but it sure would be worth looking at! 455 CFM's at 1500 RPM's.

Holy Shiitz!!! I'd have to install seat belts in my couch for that one!!!! :)

tjnamtiw said:
Holy Shiitz!!! I'd have to install seat belts in my couch for that one!!!! :)

I think Jay had additional cables and anchors attached to his stove and the basement floor, even then he relocated to the next floor up.

Something about the jet wash in the basement.

Did anyone ever find a source for these at retail?

Status
Not open for further replies.