Quadra-Fire Adventure 2 and 3

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
between the red and rc ports. my heat pump thermostat is the same. on the wall thermostat
Yes, I think that jumper is ok.

So there are two guys with these stoves going in here. Any updates on these stoves? Have a chance to pick one up for $2100? Feed back would be greatly appreciated.

PJ,
any luck from your dealer? mine is roasting me out of the house again today. yesterday it was fine. today it still won't close the air intake fully. it's an inferno in it. so seeing if the thermocouple is the culprit like you mentioned. my dealer is clueless. I'm the first one to get this stove from him.

So there are two guys with these stoves going in here. Any updates on these stoves? Have a chance to pick one up for $2100? Feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Ford,
the stove is huge and well built. however, the electronic may be off. I will tell you you cannot talk directly with quadra fire. you have to go through the dealer. then the other issue was I installed mine myself so the dealer is reluctant to help me unless I pay for a service call.

Wes, I called my dealer last Friday and they were going to call me back this week and never heard back from them. When I did talk to them on Friday they think it may be a bad thermocoupler. That is one of the heat sensors in the fire box. They agree it shouldn’t continue to fire for the 2 hours. Hoping we can get this dialed in but we’ll see. I am not sure on the jumper wire as the dealer installed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

any luck? I'm dying with mine continuing to fire for 2 hr. some days it works some days it doesn't.

You guys have owned these stoves quite awhile and still dont have them figured out. Havent seen any reviews on them yet or talk other than you two?

Nothing yet. Dealer is working with Quadra Fire. I have a friend that bought this stove last year and his is working perfect. Hasn’t had any issues. He uses the thermostat as well and the fire dials down after the set temps are reached. I have confidence this will get fixed, just a bit annoyed with the customer service from the dealer....good guys but taking forever to get this figured out.

I have turned the electronics off and am running it manually right now. Just pulled the pin out of the damper control and you can control the air manually. It is working good now. Room is up to temp and flames just licking the glass. Nice slow burn! Will run it this way until the dealer can figure things out.

I have turned the electronics off and am running it manually right now. Just pulled the pin out of the damper control and you can control the air manually. It is working good now. Room is up to temp and flames just licking the glass. Nice slow burn! Will run it this way until the dealer can figure things out.

PJ,
any luck? mine was working good the other day. now not so much. hit the set point then intake started to step down but never fully closed. set at 68 and its 75 in house. lol.

Wish both of you had experience with a manual modern epa tube stove prior to the fully electronic one. You'd understand the fire process a bit better and could understand what the electronics are trying to do to the fire to control the temps. That thing is huge.

I bought the Adventure III this Fall. I like the stove overall. Yes, the burn profile to meet EPA emissions standards during the high heat phase (burning from wood to coal) takes precedence over the thermostatic controls. So, the stove burns hot for an hour or two after you add wood even if the thermostat is not calling for heat. You can 'trick' the stove by adding wood without pressing the load button, but, unless you have a really hot and large coal base, it will cause a lot of smoke/creosote. The thermostat really only comes into play in the low heat phase of the burn. So, don't expect a lot of room temperature control. Besides the tremendous heat output, I like the load button as I can press it, load it, and forget it. I'm use to having to nurse the fire to optimal before setting the dampers. No need now.

As for more wood equaling longer burn times, not so much. More wood means more heat, but with the burn profile taking precedence coupled with it being a non-catalytic stove, you're still talking, at best, 10 hours of productive heat after fully loading. If you're calling for heat, more like 2-4 hours. Can you get 40 hours out of this stove? Yes, if a couple coals that require kindling to self light back up constitutes 40 hours of burn. Hours 10-20 you can put your hand briefly on the stove, hours 20-40, the stove can be handled.

Jeff88 is pretty much spot on with his analysis. I didn’t want to post much more until I got more experience with my Adventure II. I was having some issues with my stove early on. It didn’t seem to be working like it should. Once the initial burn was complete I could not control anything with the thermostat. You should be able to turn up the temp above room temp and the stove will open up the air control to stoke the fire and vice versa. Mine was not doing that. Dealer replaced the mother board and it seems to work properly now.

I think my biggest concern early on was it was heating us out of the house in the initial burn stage. But as I got things dialed in and began to understand the stove better and its characteristics, this stove is sweet!! I was loading up too much wood last fall. I didn’t need that much heat. Pretty much burned hardwoods all burning season. Lesson learned was early and late in the year just put a few logs on to warm things up a bit. No need to load the stove full. Throughout Dec, Jan & Feb I could load it up and it was perfect since we had a very cold old school Minnesota winter. Loved every minute of it with this stove keeping us plenty warm!

I would load the stove up at night typically between 9:30-10:30 and in the morning I usually get up around 5:00-5:30 it was no issue hitting the reset button on the stove, throwing wood in and the fire wood take off within 5 minutes. I would keep the door cracked sometimes other times I would shut it up tight and walk away. Even going down later around 6:00 or 6:30 I would get the same results.

This stove burned everyday all day all winter long. Wife stays home and she would throw wood in as needed throughout the day, typically twice a day throwing 3-4 logs in at a crack. That has slowed down in March but when it was cold that was the routine.

Overall I would say now that I know the stove better and being new to burning wood, this is a great stove. Really like the fact you can hit the reset button, throw the wood in stove and walk away. It is very easy to use.

5883c2908ab187652ae87498d0f58f96.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless your power is always perfect I would consider plugging in the stove to a surge protected outlet to protect the electronics.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Thanks for the suggestion, I will roll with it the way it is. If something unforeseen happens with our imperfect power, I can run it manually too.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will roll with it the way it is. If something unforeseen happens with our imperfect power, I can run it manually too.
True, but you might ask about the cost of replacing a control board due to power surge. I lost one on our Quad 1200CB for this reason and it was not cheap to replace. The surge happened in summer and I didn't find out about the fried board until I went to start up the stove in fall. After that I got a surge protector and unplugged the unit as soon as the season ended.

Reactions: Dug8498
electronics on a wood stove seems like a PITA to me