Quadra-Fire Adventure 2 and 3

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
ea9c019a7e2df3e35e9bb247ba33e1ec.jpg

First burn in our Quad Adventure II. Very excited to see how the season goes. First time burning wood in the house. I live in central MN so should be a good test once the really cold weather hits in Jan, Feb! This board is awesome and very informative. Been lurking for years. Looking forward to contributing more in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been burning just about a month now. Hasn’t been real steady as temps still are mild. We have had some high temps only in the upper 30’s and low 40’s for some stretches. Mainly burning in the morning and evening. All my wood is 20% moisture or less. I use a moisture meter. Burning mainly hardwoods. Ash, elm and oak, some black walnut and maple. Set the thermostat at 75 downstairs and use the furnace fan to circulate heat throughout the 1,980 sq ft we have. Temps downstairs where stove is at will reach 75-80 and typically we see 72-74 upstairs.

I do not have anything to compare this stove to since this is my first stove but the Adventure II is awesome!! All night burns with nice red hot chunks of coal in the morning to get things rolling again. I will keep posting and try to answer any questions about this stove if anyone is interested. I want to do that because there is not much out there currently about this stove. Love the cozy heat, smell and ambiance this bad boy gives.

50be77b1771eed4755bfdcb9195afe61.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Wes1222
I think everyone will want to know how long of a burn time it gets and how the fire reacts to thermostat changes.

Following because I am about to pull the trigger on one. It was between the lopi liberty and this one. about the same price but this one seems very cool for a first timer and with a wife who is worried about controlling the fire. love the thermostat idea. looking forward to the reviews.

Been burning just about a month now. Hasn’t been real steady as temps still are mild. We have had some high temps only in the upper 30’s and low 40’s for some stretches. Mainly burning in the morning and evening. All my wood is 20% moisture or less. I use a moisture meter. Burning mainly hardwoods. Ash, elm and oak, some black walnut and maple. Set the thermostat at 75 downstairs and use the furnace fan to circulate heat throughout the 1,980 sq ft we have. Temps downstairs where stove is at will reach 75-80 and typically we see 72-74 upstairs.

I do not have anything to compare this stove to since this is my first stove but the Adventure II is awesome!! All night burns with nice red hot chunks of coal in the morning to get things rolling again. I will keep posting and try to answer any questions about this stove if anyone is interested. I want to do that because there is not much out there currently about this stove. Love the cozy heat, smell and ambiance this bad boy gives.

View attachment 231397

where did you get you stove pad at?

Got the stove pad from a local guy here in MN Ezparza.com

It is colored concrete. Very heavy and durable. Looks great!

So far burn times seem good considering the moderate temps. As it gets into the colder part of the season we’ll see. I can put three big pieces of ash in around 9:00 and that will last all night. Big chunks of red coals in the morning that fire right back up.

The stove has a little light that will turn red when it is calling for more fuel. You push that button, load more wood and the damper automatically open up until the fire is established again. I will sometimes add wood without the red light coming on. Thermostat will be at or above set temp and the stove will open the damper to get the fire rolling again and then slowly close off for a steady burn. I am learning, maybe don’t have to hit the button when I add more wood if it isn’t red.

If you have the thermostat set at 75 and you reach that temp, you can increase the thermostat to 80 and it automatically opens the damper to stoke the fire. Bump it back down to 75 and it closes things off allowing less air and calms the fire down. I will try and post some video of that in the future.

Keep the questions coming. Not sure if I am answering the burn time question properly as it seems everyone has a bit of a different opinion on what a burn time is.

Watching college football on Sat night with the cozy fire going was beyond sweet!

I just pulled the trigger on one myself for our house. will be here next week. our night time temps are already down in low 30s. can't wait to get it installed and get burning. just stacked 2.5 cords this weekend. another load incoming next week.

I was looking at the adventure III a few weeks ago as I was pondering getting a new stove next year and we have a dealer 1 town over that sells these (I can't get them to call me back which is kind of weird). Unfortunately i can't find much info at all on these on this site other than the 3 members, all new, that have posted a few times about their stoves. I am looking forward to hearing more from them and hopefully some seasoned members on here who might own one as I've gotten a bit dissuaded by the reviews listed on Quadrafire's facebook page.

The reviews for the adventure stoves (with the exception of 1 positive review) are all extremely negative and a bit disconcerting. It could be that only people that dislike the stove are posting? Who knows...

Got the stove pad from a local guy here in MN Ezparza.com

It is colored concrete. Very heavy and durable. Looks great!

So far burn times seem good considering the moderate temps. As it gets into the colder part of the season we’ll see. I can put three big pieces of ash in around 9:00 and that will last all night. Big chunks of red coals in the morning that fire right back up.

The stove has a little light that will turn red when it is calling for more fuel. You push that button, load more wood and the damper automatically open up until the fire is established again. I will sometimes add wood without the red light coming on. Thermostat will be at or above set temp and the stove will open the damper to get the fire rolling again and then slowly close off for a steady burn. I am learning, maybe don’t have to hit the button when I add more wood if it isn’t red.

If you have the thermostat set at 75 and you reach that temp, you can increase the thermostat to 80 and it automatically opens the damper to stoke the fire. Bump it back down to 75 and it closes things off allowing less air and calms the fire down. I will try and post some video of that in the future.

Keep the questions coming. Not sure if I am answering the burn time question properly as it seems everyone has a bit of a different opinion on what a burn time is.

Watching college football on Sat night with the cozy fire going was beyond sweet!

so mine came in!!! picking it up Friday. installing this weekend. waiting on my chimney and stove pipe. question, how far away should I mount my thermostat? should I put it next to my regular heat pump thermostat? that's bout 20ft away and down the hall.

Put the thermostat out of the range of the radiant heat from the stove in a draft free location. The proposed location is probably good.

Reactions: Wes1222
Good luck Wes1222

My thermostat is roughly 20’ or so down a hallway from the stove 48” off the floor.

We are up and running boys!!! took all weekend but it's in. Wow this thing puts out some heat. love it so far. the Selkirk install was a dream. super easy to hook up. the roof flash was a pain. made a few mistakes but fixed it up though.

Attachments

• 20181111_172523.jpg
    20181111_172523.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 414
  • 20181110_180024.jpg
    20181110_180024.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 424
oh boy, any one have any issues with the thermostat not controlling the stove. I load and light mine then it skyrockets to 75 dag even though it's set to 68. smart burn green light stays on for 2 hr. only way for her to cool off is unplugging it.

is this normal on the start up for it to skyrocket like that? it will run you out the house. The instructions for the thermostat were poor, did it matter which screw each wire went under? also noticed in my thermostat it had a jumper between the red and RC screw. again I am brand new to burning so maybe I'm just not used to it. little paranoid.

Mine always burns warmer than what the thermostat is set for. I have been playing around with the thermostat. I have never set is for over 75 degrees. When I do set it at 75 it will get my downstairs typically to 80 degrees. So I will start it out to get everything warmed up and then dial it down to 70-72 dependent on the outside temp. If you have the blower fan option dial that down to a lower setting. I have also found that this stove really seems to hold heat well and if you plan on using the area the stove is in there is no need to load the fire box full of wood. Only add what you need to get a good fire going.

With all that said, I agree, I wish you could damper the stove down quicker once you get the fire established. It almost seems like it will continue to keep things stoked up for a period of time regardless of the set temp on the thermostat. It regulates itself once it gets to a certain point. The book says to always push the button when reloading and when you hit the button it always goes through that “fire up cycle”. I think you burn through wood faster than you really need to. In the picture below the thermostat has been set at 68 for roughly 10-15 minutes and it is still roaring pretty good and room temp is up to 77 but I have the box loaded up too. When I initially fired things up this morning I had the thermostat set at 72.

The heat feels good and I am not expecting the room temp to reflect exactly the thermostat setting as we are talking about live fire but I would think the stove would be able to damper itself down quicker.

This is good feedback and I may give Quadra Fire a call to see if they have any suggestions. Still love everything about burning wood. Love the look, smell and the heat the wood gives!

d28b9de4501e800a8de9ed50c16bbf16.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine always burns warmer than what the thermostat is set for. I have been playing around with the thermostat. I have never set is for over 75 degrees. When I do set it at 75 it will get my downstairs typically to 80 degrees. So I will start it out to get everything warmed up and then dial it down to 70-72 dependent on the outside temp. If you have the blower fan option dial that down to a lower setting. I have also found that this stove really seems to hold heat well and if you plan on using the area the stove is in there is no need to load the fire box full of wood. Only add what you need to get a good fire going.

With all that said, I agree, I wish you could damper the stove down quicker once you get the fire established. It almost seems like it will continue to keep things stoked up for a period of time regardless of the set temp on the thermostat. It regulates itself once it gets to a certain point. The book says to always push the button when reloading and when you hit the button it always goes through that “fire up cycle”. I think you burn through wood faster than you really need to. In the picture below the thermostat has been set at 68 for roughly 10-15 minutes and it is still roaring pretty good and room temp is up to 77 but I have the box loaded up too. When I initially fired things up this morning I had the thermostat set at 72.

The heat feels good and I am not expecting the room temp to reflect exactly the thermostat setting as we are talking about live fire but I would think the stove would be able to damper itself down quicker.

This is good feedback and I may give Quadra Fire a call to see if they have any suggestions. Still love everything about burning wood. Love the look, smell and the heat the wood gives!

View attachment 233647

ok you put my mind at ease now. your write up is spot in with mine. book claims the light will go off when the temp gets up to the set point. mine stay a on for the full 2hr max it is programmed to stay on. I still love the unit though. agree let's call quadra fire.

I tried to call quadra fire this morning myself to provide feedback. I am just going to use the thermostat to control the intake. in theory it will work in place of the button on reloads. just crank it up on reload to get her going then dial it back later. I will say the button is great for a cold stove and house . when you call quad it sends you to your local dealer. I'm the first person to have one of these with my dealer. I did submit an online inquiry.

Reactions: unimog1300
PJ,
quadra fire told me the thermostat should cut the stove off during the smart burn technology function. They referred me to my local dealer now. Kinda blows I can't just deal with them directly. My dealer said in the first customer of theirs with this stove. I have a feeling i have more knowledge of it than them. Question, did you leave the jumper in the thermostat between the 2 wire ports? mine came with one in there.

only other thing I can think of is the stove is keep itself in the burn zone and that takes precidences over the temp set point. my evenings here are only in the upper to low 40s.

Wes, I called my dealer last Friday and they were going to call me back this week and never heard back from them. When I did talk to them on Friday they think it may be a bad thermocoupler. That is one of the heat sensors in the fire box. They agree it shouldn’t continue to fire for the 2 hours. Hoping we can get this dialed in but we’ll see. I am not sure on the jumper wire as the dealer installed it.

Question, did you leave the jumper in the thermostat between the 2 wire ports? mine came with one in there.
Between what two terminals was the jumper?

PJ,
i figured it out!!!! we are not supposed to load the stove on initial start up. you tube build adventure stove fire. start with only 2 logs and kindling. once coals are going out in 2 logs. the. when light goes out you load her up for the night. I did that last night and it worked like a dream. the instructions in manual suck. I was loading it to capacity on the start up and all the logs were burning. lol. stove top temp was 600 other night. doing the new method works like a charm. try it out let me know you. my thermocouple seem to be working.