Quadrafire Classic 1200 --- could you some info on replacing door gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DougF

Aug 2, 2007
Mount Airy MD
gmail.com
Hello to all,

Have a Quadrafire 1200 pellet stove..... the glass door gasket needs to be replaced.

I've looked at the owners manual and searched the Web but haven't found any info as of yet...

So if someone could let me know the size /length I need, were to purchase and possibly how to install
it that'd be great! :) (Ive got smoke leaking from the top of the door a bit.....door adjustment didn't help
so I'm guessin I need a new one

Thanks for any replies,

dougf

I mentioned Hearth.com and got no discount (Dave does not work here anymore)

I ordered mine through them. Its a 7/8 rope gasket. Pretty simple. Pull out the old, scrape all the old gasket cement, apply new gasket cement, install new gasket.

After it was said and done, I had enough left over to do my door again in a few yrs.

Dexterday

I did the same this summer I have a enough for next time didn't know they still didn't give a discount.

AZ Pellet Guy said:
Dexterday

I did the same this summer I have a enough for next time didn't know they still didn't give a discount.

Forum member WoodHeatStoves used to be Dave (cant remeber last name (Gault maybe) He would give discounts I believe
. Also would give service/tech manuals for free.

Well now the Forum name is the same, but says at the bottom "Dave does not work here anymore" . Dont know why he doesnt work there (Fired for giving discounts and free manuals? Maybe? I thought he was a nice guy for doing so though)

But I mention Hearth and got a reply " we do not give discounts".. Can still try, but didnt work for me.

Folks,

Well, still trying to track down the smoke smell in the room problem from the Quadrafire 1200....

This has been an ongoing battle for some time.

Seems that the smoke smell occurs when the stove shuts down after a regular heating cycle.

After the room blower fan shuts down ,but the exhaust blower is still running, I took a lighter and tracked it around the glass door and apparently no leaking there as the flame was stable.

If is put the flame in front of the ash pan drawer it gets sucked into the stove all along the top edge of the ash pan, exhaust blower still running. .......

I am guessing this is not normal? Is an ash pan gasket replacement in order? (Tried adjusting the ash pan drawer clamps on either side of the ash pan.... no go.)

Thanks

Your ash pan gasket should be replaced if it is leaking. But your firebox is under "Negative" pressure. You seen how the flame was sucked into the gasket. Well its hard for smoke to be pushed out of a unit that sucking air in. Your leak is more than lilely in the venting system. Either right where the 1st connection to the stove is, or any other vent joint.
Are your joints sealed (silicone?) Did you seal the 1st piece (stove adapter) really well on the back of the stove.

The only other place it could be, is the plenum where your convection blower, hooks to the heat exchange tubes. If that area was sealed incorrectly by the Manufacturer, then you would smell/see smoke coming from the heat exchange tubes.

At start up, when the stove is smoking but not yet lit, is the best time to check for smoke. Get a bright flashlight and turn the lights off. Should be able to see the smoke. Look around the combustion blower area and all vent joints. Especially the very 1st section that connects to the stove.

Attachments

• Cleaning Day.jpg
    Cleaning Day.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 1,048
In my picture above, you can see the plenum I am talking about. It is lying on the hearth pad to the left of the stove. The plenum needs to be sealed well if removed. This is where the heat exchange tubes rest. The convection blower is on the bottom, while the tubes are on top.

It is unlikely that this would be your problem. It is more than likely your venting or your combustion blower gasket is bad (also unlikely).. The combustion blower has a small cooling fan that can move a fair amount of air. So the leak may ne in the back of the stove, and the cooling fan/fins on the blower are spreading it to the front, via the vents on the side panels..

Folks,

Still having issues with smoke in room from Quadrafire 1200 pellet stove.

Well, found out where the pellet stove is leaking (at least on place ;-0).... at the top of the door between the glass and the door itself. The reason for the smoke is that there are still embers in the fire pot smoldering after the stove has completely shutdown.

I was assuming the way the shutdown sequence worked is that the pellets would stop feeding, at some temperature the convection blower would stop and then
finally the exhaust blower. In my situation the pellets stop feeding, the exhaust blower shuts down and then finally the convection blower.... and hence the
smoldering embers. Doesn't seem to be the right sequence of events to me.....

So, is there suppose to be an open gap between the door and the glass (possibly for the air wash "systems" on the door) or does the glass/door gasket need repair?
(perhaps air wash is clogged or something?)

....and is the shut down sequence I noticed the way it is suppose to be?????

Just in case....anybody know of a place around Gaithersburg, Md (Just north of Washington D.C. that actually does Qudrafire service?) Very difficult to find anybody that does
Disappointing.... the place I bought the stove from about 4 years ago... Acme Stoves....in Gaithersburg, MD stopped selling the stove and hence no longer offers service.
Had I known that was going to happen would have never bought the stove from them in the first place :-{.....

Thanks for any info :)

dougf

My CB 1200i shuts down convection blower then exhaust. Snap disc kicking off too earlier on the exhaust maybe? or the conveciton too late? That does not seem right to me. As far as the airwash gaps someone else will have to answer that one as I have no idea.

My shut down has always been vent blower first. It is programed to run 10 min after red call light goes out.
The convection fan runs at least 20-25 min after call light goes out.
The top door leak is air wash.
Note, I have always run mine on medium heat high fan, thermostat on 70 deg.

Remember, mine is an insert and not free standing. That could make the difference.

Gap at the top is your air wash. It should be there on all 3 panes.. How long after the call light goes off does your combustion blower run??
Also. When was your last Deep Clean on the unit? Cleaning the flue, above the heat exchanger, cleaning combustion blower fan blades, Ash trap (lower right hand side of stove, there is a square cover with 4 screws. This must be removed and vacuumed out a few times a yr, full.burn pot scraping and cleaning of ALL the holes in the pot (there are 8little holes at the bottom, 4 on the front by ignitor hole, and 4 in the back at the bottom of the "slope" or angled section)..

If your blower is running for 10 minutes then your stove msy be plugged or dirty.. Doing a good deep cleaning will solve this issue. If the stove cant breathe, it wont efficiently burn the pellets down. No or low air out. Means low or no air into burn pot.

If the blower is NOT running for at least 10 min, then it could be a few things. Your stove does not have a leak if its shutting down early. The smoke is just escaping through natural points that would under normal circumstances, would be sucking air IN. So a leak you may not have. It seems like you do because of premature shutdown.

Whatz important now is to find out how long your blower (exhaust) is running after you turn the stove off / no call for heat.

With the amount of air a Quad brings through the burn pot, it only takes a couple minutes to finish burning the remaining pellets.

Whats your venting set up? How long is the run? And how many bends ( 90* or 45* angles)

How is your flame? Is it lazy? Does your glass get sooty quick? Or is it like a blowtorch/vortex? Having an ash pan leak will cause less air to come through your burnpot. Thereby decreasing the amount of combustion air. Less air = poor combustion = unburned pellet. Add some ash clogging the exhaust path and you will have a poor burning stove that will have smoldering pellets, even if the combustion blowee ran for 20 minutes.

Hope some of this helps... Check the ash trap in the back if your stove has burned anything over a ton. I do mine every 2-4 weeks (deep clean) and do a light clean weekly.

Well here's what I have so far.... (From calling Hearth and Home) for tech support.

Exhaust Fan is on a timer (11 minutes)
Clean Out Vent Pipe (done that)
Clean out the exhaust plenum area (done that)
Make sure Thermo Couple at top of fire pot is clean.
Check the firepot and clean out the holes if necessary

For the fire pot trap door....

The trap door at the bottom of the fire pot, when the pull rod is closed should be
open about the width of a dime......(apparently there's a adjustment nut inside the firepot access area).
Check the bottom trap door for any obstructions and make sure it is closing/sealing properly.

So I'll give the above a try this evening....

If this is a no go....I guess it's onto new door and ash pan gaskets.

Curious also about how the door air-wash system works....any thoughts?

dougf

Your stove is under Negative pressure. Which means your blower is pulling air through your stove (burn pot holes/gaps at the top pf glass) The air is suckes in through the gaps and the air is "washed" down the front of the glass to keep it clean..

The stove is not Pressurized. Only your exhaust vent has Positive pressure. Meaning smoke can be blown out of it..

If your gaskets are leaking. The stove will not leak smoke while running. It will be pulling air in through those leaks. Which means less air through the burn pot holes, which means incomplete combustion. Changing the gaskets will Help. IF they are leaking.

Without an air wash system, the glass would be dirty in no time flat.

DexterDay said:
Gap at the top is your air wash. It should be there on all 3 panes.. How long after the call light goes off does your combustion blower run??

Just timed the exhaust blower..... unplugged stove then plugged it back in..... exhaust blower ran for
11 minutes on the button....

Also. When was your last Deep Clean on the unit? Cleaning the flue, above the heat exchanger, cleaning combustion blower fan blades, Ash trap (lower right hand side of stove, there is a square cover with 4 screws. This must be removed and vacuumed out a few times a yr, full.burn pot scraping and cleaning of ALL the holes in the pot (there are 8little holes at the bottom, 4 on the front by ignitor hole, and 4 in the back at the bottom of the "slope" or angled section)..

Just cleaned it out about a month ago in prep for the winter...

All of the above was done except not sure about "Cleaning the flue, above the heat exchanger"
In addition cleaned out the under the fire pot by removing the front cover plate between the door and ash pan.

If your blower is running for 10 minutes then your stove msy be plugged or dirty.. Doing a good deep cleaning will solve this issue. If the stove cant breathe, it wont efficiently burn the pellets down. No or low air out. Means low or no air into burn pot.

If the blower is NOT running for at least 10 min, then it could be a few things. Your stove does not have a leak if its shutting down early. The smoke is just escaping through natural points that would under normal circumstances, would be sucking air IN. So a leak you may not have. It seems like you do because of premature shutdown.

Whatz important now is to find out how long your blower (exhaust) is running after you turn the stove off / no call for heat.

With the amount of air a Quad brings through the burn pot, it only takes a couple minutes to finish burning the remaining pellets.

Whats your venting set up? How long is the run? And how many bends ( 90* or 45* angles)

Vent pipe has a "T" coming out from the exhaust blower...then elbow....then about 1 ft....thru the wall...straight out about 2 feet with a vent cap on the end.

How is your flame? Is it lazy?
"Dancing flame about 3-5 inches in height

Does your glass get sooty quick?

No

Or is it like a blowtorch/vortex? Having an ash pan leak will cause less air to come through your burnpot.

With respect to the ashpan, as mentioned earlier, with the stove running took a zippo lighter and the flame all aroundi the top edge of the ash pan was being sucked in....so it's pulling air in from the room.

Thereby decreasing the amount of combustion air. Less air = poor combustion = unburned pellet. Add some ash clogging the exhaust path and you will have a poor burning stove that will have smoldering pellets, even if the combustion blowee ran for 20 minutes.

Hope some of this helps... Check the ash trap in the back if your stove has burned anything over a ton. I do mine every 2-4 weeks (deep clean) and do a light clean weekly.

Ash trap being the "T" on the vent pipe?

And yes.....helpful...Thanks!

Dougf

The ash trap I was talking aboit is the one in the back of the stove.

Well. If the stove is clean. Then it is probably the gaskets. The ash pan gasket will suck the flame in. Like I said before. Your stove is under negative pressure. But just because the air is going in your firebox, does not mean it is good. This is actually bad.... The air that enters your stove should come from 2 points. One being the air wash (prob 5% of total air) and then the Air through the burn pot (the other 95% of air) . So any "Leak" you have means that air is coming in the stove, Yes... But it is not coming in your burn pot.. Which means this is taking away from the 95% to your pellets. Now you could be at 70% burn pot, 5% air wash, 25% leak....

Replacing the gasket will do a lot of good, especially if the leak is that significant.

Just always keep in mind, that you want as much air as possible going to the pot. The blower in the back pf the stove, is just that. It "Blows" your exhaust out the vent. But it "Sucks" the air from the stoves inlet (open bottom left hand door and there will be a hole right behind the combustion blower (or if you have an OAK, the flex pipe goes to this hole) The air starts there and travels under the stove, to a small channel (also seen through side door) it then goes ip that channel, to the area under the burn pot (where ignitor and plate assembly are) from there it comes through the holes and is used for the combustion of pellets.. After being used for combustion, it travels around the top baffle plates, down the channel that houses the heat exchange tubes and then into the Ash trap channel in the back of the stove, then hits the combustion blower, up to this point, if you had a leak... It would "suck" air into the stove because of Negative pressure. Once it gets to the combustion blower, it becomes a positive or pressurized system and a leak would result in CO leaking into your home..

This is just a general overview, but truly understanding how your stove operates, will help you immensely. Knowing what does what, why it does it, and when it does it. Helps a lot when trying to solve a problem..

Hope you get it worked out. I think the ash pan is a 3/8" rope gasket. Might be 7/16" . I am going to change mine out this Spring. Just did the door this past Spring.. Needed it bad. Was frayed really bad at the 2 ends where it was cut.

The gasket on the ash pan and door on my Quadrafire 1200 have been replaced....
Running like a new stove now :) ....no more smoke in the room from the
pellets in the fire pot not extinguishing before the exhaust blower turned off...YAY!!!!!!!!!!

Ready for the season now.....

THANKS! ...to all for the help...

dougf

Status
Not open for further replies.