Quadrafire Classic Bay Flame height Setting?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Well not sure if this is the best setting but I do not want to overfire the stove.

Currently I have the Hopper Feeder set to 30 and with the Heat Level switch on Medium Heat see the flame.

I originally set it for 40 and that seemed high? Should it hit the heat baffles alot?

see height below:

Is that good? OR What should it be?

Attachments

• Quadrafire Classic Bay Flame height Setting?
    CB1200HopperFeedersc.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 477
    FlameHeightMediumHeatRodOn30 (2)sc.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 576
    FlameHeightMediumHeatRodOn30 (3)sc.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 529
Stove should be on High when you set it. In the manual it states to make small adjustments (waiting 15 minutes in between adjustments/ It takes that long for your adjustment to be seen in flame.difference / Auger is full of pellets at your last setting, takes time for auger to fill with that "setting")

Until the flame hieght is 4"-6" above the pot. Thats per manual.

A change in pellet will require a slight adjustment. No 2 stoves will have the same setting.

The flame can "lick" the top baffle plate here and there. But I only like to see it on start-up.

If set properly, the baffle plate is just at 6" over very top level of firepot. So it shouldn't hit it often. Flame on that steel may cause warping. I know there have been some warping issues in some Quads. Not sure of all models though (Mt. Vernon is one of them).

DexterDay said:
Stove should be on High when you set it. In the manual it states to make small adjustments (waiting 15 minutes in between adjustments/ It takes that long for your adjustment to be seen in flame.difference / Auger is full of pellets at your last setting, takes time for auger to fill with that "setting")

Until the flame height is 4"-6" above the pot. Thats per manual.

A change in pellet will require a slight adjustment. No 2 stoves will have the same setting.

The flame can "lick" the top baffle plate here and there. But I only like to see it on start-up.

If set properly, the baffle plate is just at 6" over very top level of firepot. So it shouldn't hit it often. Flame on that steel may cause warping. I know there have been some warping issues in some Quads. Not sure of all models though (Mt. Vernon is one of them).

Thanks for all the information.

I increased the setting a little over 30. That seems to be good. That should also put a few more pellets in the fire pot when starting. I had a couple false starts this morning at 43 Deg F in the shed. I went out there and found that even though everything was working fine that not enough pellets were dropping down the chute. I am using Maine's choice hardwood pellets and some are kinda long. So opening up the feeder a bit should help!

Well we are looking at 19 Deg F in the morning so I can do more cold weather startup testing. I am not convinced it is the capacitor since the Auger seems to be working well.

Attachments

02252012Forecast.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 260
Status
Not open for further replies.