Quadrafire enamel

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Esbe Dee

Oct 25, 2021
extreme NW California
ENAMEL BREAKDOWN? I have a older Quadrafire, a Yosemite. that i LOVE (now that I have adjusted my brain to the double air controls that seem backward to my brain: push IN to open both initial & secondary air, not pull out like a manual car choke: opEN = IN...; husband hates it because he is a traditional garage-scrap wood burner stove type). Anyway, I fell for the mahogany enamel & have nothing but bad experience with the top enamel chipping/flaking off. Other places too, but mainly the top,. Over the years has gotten ugly enough now to consider taking top off, sandblasting all the coating off, & heat-painting it flat black, at least it will match the back shield & stove pipe. ANYONE ELSE HAVE THIS PROB w/ enameled Quads? {Otherwise, stove burns beautifully, just wish i had gone w/ the bigger model to get more heat upstairs}

IMG_3109.JPG IMG_1144.JPG

That's a shame, this was a nice stove series. I was sorry to see Quad discontinue it.
When I first saw the picture I thought it was a map on the top with Africa on the right side.

Reactions: dafattkidd
I have a Dovre Aurora stove from 1993 and the top looks so scarred up because it has peeled and cracked the enamel in many places and I could never get any porcelain paint in gloss to paint it with, I had to use flat black high temp paint so it looks rough but is better than having rust spots all over the top.

If you can have the top taken off and redone that would be great, I would consider that option.

And Dovre went out of business years ago (still being made in Europe) and were eventually absorbed into Quadrafire!

I have a Dovre Aurora stove from 1993 and the top looks so scarred up because it has peeled and cracked the enamel in many places and I could never get any porcelain paint in gloss to paint it with, I had to use flat black high temp paint so it looks rough but is better than having rust spots all over the top.

If you can have the top taken off and redone that would be great, I would consider that option.

And Dovre went out of business years ago (still being made in Europe) and were eventually absorbed into Quadrafire!
Dovre didn't go out of business they just pulled out of the American market. They did make a stove or 2 for quad but we're not absorbed by them

Dovre didn't go out of business they just pulled out of the American market. They did make a stove or 2 for quad but we're not absorbed by them
The American Dovre company was first bought out by Heatilator, Aladdin Hearth products and bounced around a bit then was bought out by Quadrafire is what I had heard years ago, they used some of Dovre's designs.

Oh man I’m sorry to see that. That is a beautiful unit.

I agree with @begreen that certainly is mappy looking.