QuadraFire Grand Voyageur - Burn Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Hi all,

I've had a QuadraFire Grand Voyageur for a couple years now. It works ok but is a bit of a pain to start (especially on some really cold days). I open my windows, close the doors in the room etc... to avoid a backdraft. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Perusing the threads I see posts that others have on this here:
1) https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/quadrafire-voyageur-grand-dirty-glass-all-the-time.149772/
2) https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/new-quadrafire-voyageur-question.61259/

One suggestion they said was to check the Oak plate is removed. I never installed the outside air in and I'm thinking to have the installer come back to do this. So two I'm wondering could there be an issue where the Oak plate wasn't removed, or perhaps would the outside air in help? I also noticed that changing the vent control doesn't do that much. It does have an effect going low/high but not immediate. Takes a couple minutes before the popping sounds change or the flame dies down a bit. I usually have to crack the door open a bit to get the fire going well. I think my chimney is also a bit lower then the tallest part of my house (by a few feet) so draft could be a bit of an issue at times.

The wood I'm burning is very well seasoned (couple seasons) and dry. I'm also considering to get a better flu warming kit to heat up the flu to build the draft. My wife complains a bit when there is that initial smoke coming into the house from the draft (not a lot, but enough of a smell to notice for the first 30min).

Thanks!

Last edited:
Post a photo of the exterior venting if you can, and estimate how far below and how far away from the ridge the chimney cap is.

Also give us an idea of how tight the house is- year built, level of insulation and leak hunting, age of windows, etc.

Your reverse draft is worse on really cold days?