Question about BK Princess insert termostat knob

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goatguy

Hearth Supporter
Sep 15, 2010
Mid-Michigan
Ok, so I went home for lunch today as usual to feed/let out the dog and to check the stove. As I was putting in a few logs (and turning up the air control to char them) I noticed that the knob was very.... wobbley or loose. It also seemed to be about 3/16" or so farther out from the frame as I remember it. It still seems to adjust the thermostat and air as it typically does, but I dont like the feel of it.

So onto the questions...

1. Any idea what could have happened and why? I do not abuse the stove or turn the knob with all my manly might or anything or that nature...

2. How can I take off the right side of the shroud to get a better look at the termostat and its position. I am pretty sure I could get it all of, but that the shroud would get stuck on the bypass wooden handle. Those of you with BK Princess inserts will see what I mean if you look at the handle. Is there an easy way to mitigate this to get that cover/shroud off?

Thanks for your help and ideas!

One of the nitpicky things I don't like about my BK Princess insert is that the knobs have seemed too light, wobbly and loose from day 1. Having burned the stove a full season with not one real problem, I've ceased to worry about them. In fact, I've come to like them as they are easy to turn and they are both indexed so it's much easier to know the sweet spot(s) than on any other stove I've ever owned.

This little guy, I think you take the wood handle off the by-pass and slide it off?
<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td>
DSC_0072.jpg
</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From fire up the bk</td></tr></table>

Looks like you unscrew the wooden handle on the bypass lever, looks to be a setscrew in the thermostat knob (i can't quite see in the hole) loosen it and pull it off, and then the 3 screws on the housing, then slide her off? Maybe? :)

Let us know what you find

haha, Unscrew the wood handle, of course! Sure wish I was more mechanical sometimes... However, last summer I was able to change the breaks on my truck! Took me 1.5 days... but I was still quite proud of myself, haha.

Anyhow, Thanks for the replies, I plant to get into it sometime this weekend, I'll keep ya'll informed.

Status
Not open for further replies.