Question about magnetic thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oknev

Jan 21, 2011
TX
I bought a magnetic thermometer but realized it was for single pipe only. Mine is double insulated so is it any good to just sit on the top?
Thanks

The top of the stove or the top of the pipe? I'd put it on the stove. The outside of the pipe may run cold enough that the temp gauge really doesn't show you anything. Then again, if the outside of doublewall gets 500-600 degrees you know you have an issue.

Put it on the top of stove in one of the back corners. Thats what I use and is plenty enough for me to know when the fire is getting too hot. The other, and more accurate, way would be to drill a small hole through the pipe and use a probe thermometer for the flue. Lots of people use them, we just never felt the need.

Top of the stove . . . yes . . . just go by the numbers rather than the "danger" zone as some thermos will not match up to what is too cool, too hot, just right, etc.

On top of the double wall pipe . . . no . . . you would need a probe style thermometer for accurate temps. Very easy to install . . . trust me . . . if a doofus like me can install one and not muck it up, any one can.

I dont think that danger 'zone" on the stat applies to modern EPA stoves. It still there from the smoke dragon era. Also modern stoves will not creosote at lower flue temps as indicated on the gauge.

Status
Not open for further replies.