question about my insert and radiant heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scjotulman

Dec 8, 2013
Greenville, sc
I have a Jotul C450 insert. I can extend the firebox into the room 4 inches. I will need to add a hearth pad or something. The question is how much will this improve radiant heat?

Attachments

• 20140817_180745.jpg
    20140817_180745.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 169
I would say you still need the blower to get heat out into the room.

Approximately by the amount of additional stove surface you will see then which may not be enough to make a real noticeable difference.
Is that fireplace on an exterior wall? If yes, would there be enough room to add insulation around the insert? This thread may be helpful: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/finally-got-around-to-insulating-my-fireplace.75755/page-2 That should do more than pulling out the insert a bit. (P.S. I assume the chimney has a block-off plate.)

My parents run that Jotul insert. It puts out great heat. They have a 2200 sq ft ranch with quite an open floor plan. Closing off the bedroom doors this insert heats their whole house. They don't run it very efficiently either.

Grisu,
It is on an exterior wall. I don't have a block off plate but have been planning on installing one this fall. I guess I will wait and see how that works before insulating the walls. Do you think I need to insulate the block off plate? My searches here show a two different thoughts on it.

for what its worth, i bumped my brick hearth out 4". When it comes to heat and effectiveness, every bit of extra heat helps, havent tried it yet

Ricky,

I would be interested in finding out if you see any improvement. Do you have any pictures of it you can post?

my avatar picture, I did it primarily for looks in my case. i placed an add'll layer of brick in front of existing mantel (4" wide brick). Now it might not be that effective bc the same amount of stove is in the room, but I'm hoping the bricks will hold more heat within the room itself and the entire stove and shroud is farther away from the wall. If I had to guess Id say i get a very small improvement in heat amount and distribution, 2-3%, but ill take it.

do an insulated block off plate and insulate the box it will make a big difference i would bet allot more than puling it out that little bit

Status
Not open for further replies.