Question about seasoning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBurner

Aug 4, 2008
SE CT
I searched the forum, but did not find answer, So here it is, I am cutting green wood down for next year maybe 7 0r 8 cords, To season best I know to split and stack outside but I am thinking about putting down pallets in a large square, I have as many as I need, and then piling splits up like a pyramid by tossing in a pile. most of wood is oak , all is hardwood. which method is best for seasoning.

I stacked ten cords this year, all on pallets. Mine are in rows, with a few inches of space between each row. It's good to keep the wood off the ground. The wood will season in a pyramid, albeit much more slowly. And oak, jeez, that'll take years just piled up like that. Stacking doesn't take much time- it goes faster than you'd think. worth the effort, in my opinion. Though there are plenty of people who just pile it up...

The best method for seasoning any wood is to cut, split and stack it off the ground. Preferably in a sunny and well ventalated area.

I haven't tried it, but years ago someone told me about what he called "super-heating" his wood.
He said to stack up the wood on pallets, and wrap it up with clear plastic and stick a piece of pVC pipe thru the plastic at the top horizontally so the hot air could escape but rain couldn't get in.
Think Ill do one that way and one just stacked up and compare them in a year.
Will it get moldy in there?

Jim in CT said:

I have had fungus and other stuff grow on a single row of wood stacked on a pallet. There is alot of moisture coming out of freshly cut and split wood. I think it will get moldy if you wrap it.

Jim in CT said:
I haven't tried it, but years ago someone told me about what he called "super-heating" his wood.
He said to stack up the wood on pallets, and wrap it up with clear plastic and stick a piece of pVC pipe thru the plastic at the top horizontally so the hot air could escape but rain couldn't get in.
Think Ill do one that way and one just stacked up and compare them in a year.

Something similar has been tried:
http://www.fs.fed.us/pnw/pubs/pnw_rn450.pdf

Maybe there's a better way:
http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/WoodDrying/wood_kiln.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.