question i have acesse to several pick up truck loads of locus wood should i get it

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Absolutely grab all you can, and since I'm giving you this valuable advice free of charge grab me a cord or two.

You could send me it all I'm not greedy.

Primo firewood. Just be sure to let it season a couple years, burns like coal when dry, hot and long.
I just moved a third of a cord of honey locust into my garage, it's all I'm going to burn the rest of this season.

I have accessse to several pick up trucks of locus wood
does that wood be good for fireplace or wood stove

if your in need of wood take what ever you can get.. FREE wood is free and it burns. when your unsure look it up on a BTU chart, that should help you make a decision. if you have verry little access to fire wood grab as much as u can when its offered. like everything else in this world.. free won't last for ever..

It is the best firewood you can get. Takes a long time to dry, however if it was dead standing, it may be dry already.
Get a moisture meter and test it.

Top grade firewood.

That's what I've mostly been burning - free wood that I obtained with my truck. The quality isn't as good as what you found, but free along with some work and seasoning time is always good.

Reactions: jetsam
I never turn down locust. I don't mind it being gnarly and difficult to process. I have to chainsaw half of what I find into burnable pieces. I use it when I need 125% heat output.

Our locust here in the North Carolina mountains is easy to process. It doesn't get too big, a big one is 18 inch diameter. But it is easy to split.
A blight wiped out all the many locusts, about 20 years ago, so I have lots of dead standing here on my 48 acres.

Locust.....GET IT! And, if your in western NC, please let me get it for you ;)

Excellent firewood according to the BTU charts. I'd burn it in a stove rather than a fireplace. That's beautiful BTU's going up the chimney in a fireplace.

I'd burn it in a stove rather than a fireplace.

Better used for the stove Black Locust tends to throw sparks. Like the other's have stated get all the locust you can. I other good thing is it is rot resistant too.

Just about the best firewood you can get.
Yep. About the only species close in our location are Dogwood, Shagbark Hickory, White Oak, Mulberry, and maybe some less-common stuff I haven't seen yet. Of course, Hedge blows all those away..

Reactions: Grizzerbear
Hedge blows all those away..

Yes sir. I havent had any for several years. I work for the street and water department of my hometown and there is the biggest hedge tree i have ever seen on one of our walking trails. I told my boss if that baby ever comes down for any reason i had first dibs lol. Its massive.

Yes sir. I havent had any for several years. I work for the street and water department of my hometown and there is the biggest hedge tree i have ever seen on one of our walking trails. I told my boss if that baby ever comes down for any reason i had first dibs lol. Its massive.
It won't come down unless BIG wind can get to it. I've missed out on more Hedge than I can shake a stick at. ;)
Several blow-downs that a guy wouldn't let me cut because it was close to the street, and I wasn't a "pro." :rolleyes: Most he gave to acquaintances but I did end up getting about 1/3 cord from it. There are some stump chunks in a guy's yard that I'm pretty sure I could get, but the novelty has worn off, even though I never split or burned any of the stuff I got before. ;lol
The stuff I mostly missed out on was on top of a ridge that gets hammered when the wind comes up. Not sure what happened to the one with the trunk chunks, or if the guy just decided to get it out of his yard..

Last edited:
Reactions: Grizzerbear
i said in was coming for the wood wed
some one came tue and took all the firewood

i was mad as HELL
You snooze you loose when it comes to free firewood

i said in was coming for the wood wed
some one came tue and took all the firewood

i was mad as HELL
Hi happycamper
For some reason i cant reply to you in the classified area or send you a PM.
I am interested in your 040
Thanks