Question on Big E glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maineteech

Nov 22, 2008
Maine
I have a question concerning the glass on my Big E. I wipe the glass with a paper towel at least twice a day, and I clean the stove 2-3 times a week. I'm not having any problem with the heat output, but it has been pretty warm here (40 degrees) for the last few days, so I've only been running the stove on setting 1 or 2. My question is, the glass has what seems to be permanent dark brown streaks on it. These streaks were not there a few days ago. They are nearly impossible to remove. What caused them? I noticed that my flame was acting funny the last couple of days, so I shut the stove down to give it another good cleaning, and presto, there are the streaks. Does anyone have the same problem? Any suggestions how to get rid of these ugly things?

I have heard some people use the magic eraser. I never have anything on my glass that doesn't wipe off with just a simple damp paper towel but some on this forum do. Hope this helps.

Pull the door off it is only pinned on. Lay the door dirty side up and hose it down with windex, oxy clean, or lysol. Let it set for a little while and/or use a plastic scrapper then towel dry. That should work. If you are getting tornadoes from the bottom of the door, it means your air wash is clogged. Take a business card and run it through the airwash to knock out the dirt.

Eric

Appreciate the input, folks. Eric I have a question for you. I am going to shut the stove down again in a few minutes and remove the door. Yes, I do have tornadoes on the glass. My question is..."what the heck is the air wash?" Also, do you have a preference as to which credit card to use? I have a Visa and a Mastercard. :cheese:

Whoops, sorry. I must have read too quickly. I see now that it says "business card." Thank goodness. I prefer to use my credit cards for getting into my house when I forget my keys.

maineteech said:
Appreciate the input, folks. Eric I have a question for you. I am going to shut the stove down again in a few minutes and remove the door. Yes, I do have tornadoes on the glass. My question is..."what the heck is the air wash?" Also, do you have a preference as to which credit card to use? I have a Visa and a Mastercard. :cheese:

I understand your in rutt.

The glass on your door only has a gasket on three sides leaving the bottom open. The stove runs on negative pressure so it draws air into the firebox through the slot left by no gasket. The runs air over the glass and should keep it clean. When the gap (airwash) gets clogged the air is kept from flowing over the glass and it gets dirty. sounds like this will lead to part 4 in the Breckwell 101 training.

Eric

MButkus said:
I found "Rutland hearth and grill conditioning glass cleaner with silicon"
http://www.rutland.com/productinfo.php?product_id=43

For whatever reason...this keeps it clean (for me) for at least a few days before it starts getting dirty again.

Yes, I can order all that fancy stuff also. I am cheap and like windex, lysol, Oxy-clean. What every the wife buys.

Eric

Thanks again for all of the help guys. Eric, I have another question. Last week you mentioned in another thread to never, ever vacuum the hole in the upper left corner of the Big E stove. Since then I have been careful to keep my shop vac away from the hole. What is that hole? Why is a shop vac dangerous to it? Why wasn't that advice in my owner's manual for my stove?

maineteech said:
Thanks again for all of the help guys. Eric, I have another question. Last week you mentioned in another thread to never, ever vacuum the hole in the upper left corner of the Big E stove. Since then I have been careful to keep my shop vac away from the hole. What is that hole? Why is a shop vac dangerous to it? Why wasn't that advice in my owner's manual for my stove?

Take a peek here.
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/29613/

Eric

Eric , I have shopped my stove for the last 3 years before reading not to get the vac near that little hole, and I know that I have had the vac all over it. Have I just been lucky ?

buildingmaint said:
Eric , I have shopped my stove for the last 3 years before reading not to get the vac near that little hole, and I know that I have had the vac all over it. Have I just been lucky ?

I speed all the time but have not gotten a ticket since 2001.......
Knock on wood
Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.