Question on my quadra fire adventure 3

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mike89

Dec 21, 2021
Ontario
We have a quadrafire adventure 3 that has worked well for the last 5 years and throws out a ton of heat. Though one issue I have is with the thermostat controlling the damper. Sometimes, like before bed, I like to turn down the temp a few degrees to lengthen the burn time, but no matter how low I set it, I get no response from the stove.. it just continues burning through full blast. At this point, the only way to close the damper is to disconnect the pin that runs the automatic arm and manually damper, which is just silly.

Example- i put in a large piece of seasoned soft maple about an 90min ago, the temperature was set to 73, and I moved it down to 67 ~30min later. An hour later and it is actually 75 in here now.

Is there a reason the stove doesn’t respond to the thermostat in this case? Like it won’t damper if the stove is too hot for example, or is this a sign of a problem with an electronic component? Or perhaps an air leak somewhere? Or perhaps this is all normal and I don’t understand how to operate.

Thanks

Hi Mike, does your thermostat click when you turn down the temp?
Have you hit the button at the bottom of the unit within 30 minutes? If so, the stove ignores the thermostat for 30 minutes to ensure it get the wood started before dampening.
If the thermostat clicks and you haven’t hit the green button- this happened to me and I had to buy a new linear motor that runs the baffle. However, it looks like they cost $440. I don’t remember what it was 2 years ago, but it was high enough to make me source my own linear actuator. I bought this one https://www.robotshop.com/products/actuonix-l12-linear-actuator-50mm-2101-12v-limit-switch. I think I had to swap some mounts, but it works and has for 2 years.

Last edited:
Mike did you ever get the issue resolved with no response from your wall thermostat? I'm having the same issue on my adventure III