question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joecurt85

Hearth Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
cumberland ri
I bought a house in Cumberland, RI and when it was inspected the wood burning stove and oil flue was tied in at the same entry point into the chimney, and he said that was a big no no, ok fast forward 6 months I got curious about it and why are people so fascinated with wood burning stoves? I have a small house 1,100 sqft using a tankless steam boiler probably the same age as the house (1950) and I'm assuming the wood burning stove is the same age. I don't know anything about this, would it be safe to use this thing, since its so ancient? I included pictures. also it has plates inside to protect the cast iron and one of the sides seemed to be bowed there used to be caulking around the sides? and all the gaskets are shot to hell? would it be worth my while? scrap it? sell it? it seems so ancient. would it be worth my time? I have no wood around me.

DSCF7647.jpg

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz50/joecurt85/DSCF7651.jpg
http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz50/joecurt85/DSCF7649.jpg
http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz50/joecurt85/DSCF7650.jpg
http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz50/joecurt85/DSCF7652.jpg

There ARE folks in here that would say you COULD restore it, and for all "I" know, you probably COULD do so. If you were a dyed-in-the-wool wood burning enthusiast, (which it appears you are not, currently) who had some money to burn, yea........go ahead and restore it. "Me?" I'd have a tag sale before the weather turns nasty, and include that stove and see what you can get for it.

Living in "Cumberland" (I'm an old Rhode Island boy from WAY back), doesn't mean you CAN'T get wood, .........it's just that you'll pay a higher price for it, is all. I'm sure you can find some around. Probably coming from Barrington or Bristol area along 114.

What IS it about burning wood, you ask? Aside from the fact that you are reducing oil dependency, and avoiding the ever advancing prices and increasing potential for LACK of availability of that substance, ........there is the emotional connection to fire from wood, should be inclined to appreciate that.

It can get mighty cold in RI as I know you are aware. A wood fire wraps around you like a warm blanket; unlike baseboard for forced-hot-air heat. The difference in the way it heats you and your home, is really markedly different.

Before going out and buying a replacement stove, ask yourself the following questions:

A) Will I burn wood 24/7, in the winter (October to March, let's say), or just when the mood strikes me?
B) How much wood will I need, depending on "A"?
C) Do I have room to store that much wood (depending on "B"?
D) How willing am I to be doing the labor involved in cleaning the ashes, stoking the wood, toting the wood?
E) Am I over packed in my house with personal belongings, or can I make room for a stove?
F) In Cumberland, do they ALLOW a wood stove, and under what conditions?

When you've answered those questions, ........if you still think you'd like to burn wood, ........take a ride to CT in the next couple of weekends, (Central CT) and come see the set up I have here. I'll walk you thru the home and let you get a close up and personal feel for what it's all about. Send me a PM and I'll give you my info..

THEN decide!!

Am I an advocate for wood burning? Yes indeed? Do I think it's "right" for everyone, NO! We can't answer for YOU, about YOUR desires, and ambition...........we can only tell you of OUR appreciation for alternate heating sources, and the facts surrounding that. You must decide for yourself, young grasshopper.............lol.

-Soupy1957

Pretty good answer Soupy. As for the stove, by the looks of the picture I'd say if you want to burn wood you might very well seriously consider a new one. Now is the time for that anyway because if you buy before Jan. 1 you will get a nice discount on your taxes. Good luck.

Tough to beat Soupy's answer but I have to vote for scrap it.

As for what it is with wood burning - the old saying don't knock it until you try it. One thing for me has been help getting through winter. By the time I would get home in the evening it was dark so I would eat supper, sit on the lazy boy grab a bag of chips and watch T.V for several hours until bed. I'm and outside keep busy person so I hated it. Now I get exercise and something else to do walking out to get an arm full of wood, checking the stove.

Also as said there is just something unexplainably peaceful and fulfilling about wood burning. Not for everyone, not for many but those who enjoy it wouldn't go back.

Looks like this could be a Scandia copy of the Jotul 118 that is shot. If so, it's a Taiwan copy and not worth much more than being a planter. Definitely not a stove for a beginner.

Even if it is a Jotul 118 it is shot. They die too. Scrap it.

soupy1957 said:
I'm an old Rhode Island boy from WAY back

-Soupy1957

Ditto (except the boy part!) I burned as a primary heat source and got most of my wood in Foster. I've compared recent prices with my brother in RI, and he tells me I pay about half as much for a cord of wood here in NC

Kathleen: agree.......RI wood (even from Foster where a relative of mine lived) WOULD be more expensive than NC.

-Soupy1957

In answer to your questions:

1) Scrap this stove. For every thing there is a season . . . and this stove's season has passed.

2) Why burn . . . 1) To save money . . . $2 and change per gallon for oil vs. $100 for the gas and oil to cut, split and haul wood from the family lot to my house. 2) To be less dependent on foreign oil . . . and realize that I am controlling the cost of keeping myself warm -- if I work hard I stay warm and save money vs. being lazy and having to pay for the heat. 3) It gives me an excuse to get outdoors, "exercise" and whacking a piece of wood with an ax or stacking wood in a repetitious way is a fantastic way to de-stress or think about life's mysteries without paying for a gym membership or counseling session. 4) The end result -- all encompassing heat, a visual treat with the secondary burn and dancing flames, the sound of a crackling fire and the smell of the potpourri simmering on the stove top.

A beautiful old stove. Very nice in its day. But sadly, I must agree strongly with the others. Scrap it.

Status
Not open for further replies.