Q&A Questions about Ventless Gas Logs and Fireplaces

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I just have a few questions I was wondering if you could answer regarding ventless gas fireplaces:
1) I heard that for every 100-000 btu's burned you get a gallon of water- is that true and where does all the water go?
2) Because sulfuric acid is a by-product of natural gas- does this turn your walls yellow?
3) Is it true that an oxygen depletion sensor (ODS) might not work as well at high altitudes?

Answer:

1. Close to being true...the water is formed by the efficient combustion of the gas. Assuming the logs are burned on a medium setting (most of the time) 20,000BTU- then less than a quart of water an hour is released...all houses can use this much or more humidity in the winter
2. Never heard of it...but be sure your unit is correctly installed and used...these units are for attended usage and are not designed to heat your house on a 24 hour a day basis....sort of like a kerosene heater but cleaner.
3. At very high altitudes (over 5000 feet) the maker of the unit may have to make certain adjustments -- it will not fail to work (be dangerous)...rather the set may not go on.

Status
Not open for further replies.