Quick Wood ID Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sheepdog000

Dec 7, 2010
Midwest
Can I please get a quick wood ID please? The pic of the leaf is the one that came from this tree. It's a tree in a friends yard. He said something about bugs that took up residence in the tree and now it's pushing out sap. You can see the crystallized sap in one of the pics below.

Attachments

• Tree 1.jpg
    Tree 1.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 400
  • tree 2.jpg
    tree 2.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 379
  • leaf.jpg
    leaf.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 378
sheepdog000 said:
Can I please get a quick wood ID please? The pic of the leaf is the one that came from this tree. It's a tree in a friends yard. He said something about bugs that took up residence in the tree and now it's pushing out sap. You can see the crystallized sap in one of the pics below.

Cherry

If that's what I think it is you should not even consider burning it in your stove. Burns way too hot and makes too much heat in the room. :cheese:

Does it smell like wintergreen? Looks like mature black (sweet) birch to me, one of the best firewoods out there.

+2 for Cherry.
Don't see much Black Birch in the Midwest. Not a common landscaping species either from what I've seen.

I'm quite sure I could identify that wood eventually, but I can't do it as quickly as you seem to demand...so I pass. %-P

MICHAEL H said:
Looks alot like Black Cherry to me. Cut some up and if it is cherry it will smell great. Kinda of like split and sniff.

Same here.

And yeah, I like to sniff the split too. I thought all you guys did

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
MICHAEL H said:
Looks alot like Black Cherry to me. Cut some up and if it is cherry it will smell great. Kinda of like split and sniff.

Same here.

And yeah, I like to sniff the split too. I thought all you guys did

Not on a humid August afternoon.

Thanks for the speedy replies. He was worried about that part of the trunk falling right onto his septic cover and doing some damage.

I have that same tree in my yard with the same goo and I was going to post a pic and ask, I would have never guessed cherry.

Black cherry!

That leaf looked like it had a more toothed margin on my phone than it does on my computer. Now it looks more like the black cherry leaves we see around here - long in shape, and tiny teeth on the edges. So, I'm changing my mind and going with black cherry on this one.

Problem is that black birch and black cherry barks can be hard to tell apart in mature trees, at least in photos (some folks call BB "cherry birch"). I've got a mix of both woods in my basement right now, and you'd be hard pressed to tell which is which until you flipped them over and saw the color.

Too bad. Black birch is awesome wood, but the less-dense cherry is a favorite of mine as well, so either way it's a winner in my book. ;-)

sheepdog000 said:
Thanks for the speedy replies. He was worried about that part of the trunk falling right onto his septic cover and doing some damage.

Relieve him of his worries by cutting it down and feeding into your stove.

Cherry. Should smell good and be full of ants when you cut it.

sheepdog000 said:

You don't have to ID it before you can cut it down.

Battenkiller said:
That leaf looked like it had a more toothed margin on my phone than it does on my computer. Now it looks more like the black cherry leaves we see around here - long in shape, and tiny teeth on the edges. So, I'm changing my mind and going with black cherry on this one.

Problem is that black birch and black cherry barks can be hard to tell apart in mature trees, at least in photos (some folks call BB "cherry birch"). I've got a mix of both woods in my basement right now, and you'd be hard pressed to tell which is which until you flipped them over and saw the color.

Too bad. Black birch is awesome wood, but the less-dense cherry is a favorite of mine as well, so either way it's a winner in my book. ;-)

The one I have is surrounded by black birch, I wonder if I have a mature black birch which kinda looks like black cherry, Im going to check the leaves for what you just said.

Status
Not open for further replies.