R Value of Marble?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bron

Jan 16, 2009
Upstate NY
Hey all ! Still looking for micore in upstate ny. i hear there is some in rochester. It's a short drive and is probably what i will do .Wanted to ask though ! my brother has some insanely large slabs of marble varying in thickness from 1 to 2 inches in his garage.. The stuff was torn out of his house by previous owners. At one time there was a large fireplace in there, and this marble was all over the place. Is a shame but S*%t happens right? I Bet it was beautiful.. Anyways i was trying to figure out R value of this stuff . Anyone have any clue?

Hey, On-a-mission,

<>Still looking for micore in upstate ny.<>

We've got it.
Not sure where you're at in upstate NY...
Sounds like you're West of us...
We're in Albany.
About $20 for a 1/2" x 20" x 72" sheet...
PM me if you need more info...

fossil said:
Thanks to the modern miracle of the internet and the advent of Google, information such as this is now available to anyone with a mouse:

http://www.marble-institute.com/industryresources/rvalue.cfm

In general....(not with respect to the site in the link)...I wouldn't place a lot of stock in what you read on the internet. If the answer is important, check the information with other sources.

Having said that just about any "rock" is going to have an Rvalue of less than one.

You might also want to check the site you're currently on (Hearth.com). There's a list of common materials and their R-values which I used last year to find the R-value of slate. It may be in the HearthWiki under "hearths". Anyway, Meister is correct. Most stone has a very low R-value.

ChipTam

Status
Not open for further replies.