Racks on Amazom

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CTwith3

Jul 9, 2014
Westchester County, NY
IMG_4837.JPG
I've got a lot of wood to split and need to stage wood from last year for this year, and omce the wood to be burned first has been staged I can get in and rebuild the rack for the wood taking it's spot now and in the future mening A shed roof to avoid the rain games and snow games.
Ideally, I'm looking for 3 12' racks for my 18' cuts, stacked up to 6' tall., wwith covers or shed roofs. These racks would be close to tje back of my house and back door for easy retrieval.
Suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_4848.JPG
    IMG_4848.JPG
    329.7 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_4846.JPG
    IMG_4846.JPG
    352.1 KB · Views: 324
Reactions: Lone_Gun
A lot of those racks on Amazon are cheap enough to give a try in my opinion, although I haven't bought any I did get one for free that holds half a facecord from a lady off Craigslist a while back. It was rusty so I brought it into work, sandblasted and painted it and it looks brand new. So in other words, don't expect those cheaper amazon racks to weather too well.

If your stacking in single rows try to avoid going above 4ft in height, the piles get really unstable after that, especially when the green wood start drying out and shrinking.

If your stacking in single rows try to avoid going above 4ft in height, the piles get really unstable after that, especially when the green wood start drying out and shrinking.

I wish I had the room to only stack 4-5 feet tall. All my single row stacks are 5-7 feet tall.

Reactions: Ashful and Lone_Gun
My yard has 6 of those racks, the last one I threw together is 40 ft long. That's my favorite way to store wood.

Crib the ends and place on pallets. Very effective, dries quick and is free.

2uizrwp.jpg

33ksjdv.jpg

IMG_4837.JPG
I've got a lot of wood to split and need to stage wood from last year for this year, and omce the wood to be burned first has been staged I can get in and rebuild the rack for the wood taking it's spot now and in the future mening A shed roof to avoid the rain games and snow games.
Ideally, I'm looking for 3 12' racks for my 18' cuts, stacked up to 6' tall., wwith covers or shed roofs. These racks would be close to tje back of my house and back door for easy retrieval.
Suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_1013.JPG
    IMG_1013.JPG
    189.5 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_1019.JPG
    IMG_1019.JPG
    203.4 KB · Views: 178

I've been stacking between 6.0 and 6.5 feet high for six years, roughly 60 cords, in that time. When I was cutting all my wood to 20 - 22 inches length, it was never a problem. Since going down to 17" length (for the BK Ashford), I've had one or two piles that repeatedly collapse. I might have to resign to stacking shorter, myself.