Ranch Style House

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gsquare

Feb 1, 2022
Cheshire, CT
Hello,
I have attached a layout of my home including bedrooms, kitchen and family room.
The pellet stove is in the middle of the family room and I'm hoping someone
can tell me the best way to distribute the heat from the stove.
Thanks

Attachments

• House Layout.pdf
    338.3 KB · Views: 143
Hello,
I have attached a layout of my home including bedrooms, kitchen and family room.
The pellet stove is in the middle of the family room and I'm hoping someone
can tell me the best way to distribute the heat from the stove.
Thanks

What rooms are having issues getting heat? I heat an entire ranch home with a 52i insert, What I have found even though it goes against the blow the cool air towards the stove is using fans to blow the warm air higher up down my hall and having a small muffin fan that is in the doorways to pull it in.

I've had a few cold days and the bedrooms at the far end stay over 70 with the hall thermostat for the stove set at 75-76. You will always have to overheat the main room a bit to get the warmth down to the other end.

From the drawing it looks like all the bedrooms etc are right off the family room where the pellet stove is, so I would think that you could probably do a decent job of keeping them warm.

Since the pellet stove is a space heater it will always be cooler in the adjacent rooms than in the the Family room. I have found that using fans on the ground to pull/blow the cooler air at the stove will cause the warmer air by the ceiling to to flow in to the adjacent rooms. This is the same principal as Montecarlossfan, just using high fans to move the heat by the ceiling.

Do you have any ceiling fans to help circulate the air?

I put one fan on the floor by the dining room blowing into the family room and then another small six inch fan I picked up, that is supposed to be used as a desk fan on the other side of family room sucking air out. What I’m also wondering is how to set this thing up? I have it on feed limited to 60% on constant burn. Is this Ok?

These are the constant burn settings, Or should I use the remote sensor and turn up the temperature? The family room is 30’x18’.
Thanks

07A459C9-AD7D-4F50-95DA-4B3272686E71.jpeg DC0463B0-55E0-4E39-8E01-46274A423BBB.jpeg 7D19882C-2AB6-4F56-9AA3-A9B499BE1135.jpeg

I put one fan on the floor by the dining room blowing into the family room and then another small six inch fan I picked up, that is supposed to be used as a desk fan on the other side of family room sucking air out. What I’m also wondering is how to set this thing up? I have it on feed limited to 60% on constant burn. Is this Ok?

Not sure about that model of stove. I haven’t used one.

On the small fan pulling air out of the Family room, is it on the floor or up high? If it is low you would want it blowing air towards the stove instead of pulling away from the stove. If it is up high, it can blow air away from the stove.

Reactions: clancey
Not sure about that model of stove. I haven’t used one.

On the small fan pulling air out of the Family room, is it on the floor or up high? If it is low you would want it blowing air towards the stove instead of pulling away from the stove. If it is up high, it can blow air away from the stove.
Fan on floor from dining room and smaller fan hanging from top of doorway exiting the family room.

Reactions: Jeremy6500
My stove is at the end of my 1600 sq ft home and heats pretty even. You have a pretty open floor plan

Constant burn will burn at that setting continuously no matter what temperature your house is (hot or cold).

I would switch to the room temperature mode and pick a temp that works everywhere in the house. The room with the stove will be the warmest, and the bedrooms will be cooler (which is the way I like it anyway).

If it has a way to disable the ignitor in room temp mode, do that. Then the stove will get the room up to temperature, and then go into idle mode, where it just trickles to keep it lit. The fan will kick on and off and pellets will feed based on the temperature of the room, but the stove will always be hot and throw a lot of ambient heat. It does a much better job of heating the floors and walls and everything than on auto ignite that kicks on and off all the time.

Reactions: gsquare