RANT: HD Sux, but you knew that already!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ISeeDeadBTUs

For whatever reason, I seem to leave something behind when going to 'get wood'. I say it's cause I need a fancy carry system for the tractor where I can keep the saw and such. She'd tell ya it's just that I'm disorganized. She'd B right.

So, anyway, couple weeks ago I leave behind my axe. Nothing fancy, but I like having it just incase. I have this other axe . . . double bit old axe . . . the handle was actually curved from years of use and sun. Attempting to actually swing it was life threatening, between the curve and the fact that the head would not stay tight. So I cut the handle off and figure a hardware store may have one.

But of course, Home Depot, WalMart and Lowes have put every 'real' hardware store out of business. Trick one is to find the 1 out of 5 'associates' that actually know more than the average customer. Or, if you are very fortunate find the 1 in 100 who will admit they don't know but will not leave your side until she finds the one person who does know. Unfortunately, I don't think she works at HD anymore. I think she bucked their corporate philosophy once too many.

So now I waste my time going to HD. I have this really cool old doublebitted axe head that came from my wife's GrandFather. Who knows where he got it/how old it is. But I can't find a handle.

So threw it through the manager's side window while exiting the parking lot . . .

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
For whatever reason, I seem to leave something behind when going to 'get wood'. I say it's cause I need a fancy carry system for the tractor where I can keep the saw and such. She'd tell ya it's just that I'm disorganized. She'd B right.

So, anyway, couple weeks ago I leave behind my axe. Nothing fancy, but I like having it just incase. I have this other axe . . . double bit old axe . . . the handle was actually curved from years of use and sun. Attempting to actually swing it was life threatening, between the curve and the fact that the head would not stay tight. So I cut the handle off and figure a hardware store may have one.

But of course, Home Depot, WalMart and Lowes have put every 'real' hardware store out of business. Trick one is to find the 1 out of 5 'associates' that actually know more than the average customer. Or, if you are very fortunate find the 1 in 100 who will admit they don't know but will not leave your side until she finds the one person who does know. Unfortunately, I don't think she works at HD anymore. I think she bucked their corporate philosophy once too many.

So now I waste my time going to HD. I have this really cool old doublebitted axe head that came from my wife's GrandFather. Who knows where he got it/how old it is. But I can't find a handle.

So threw it through the manager's side window while exiting the parking lot . . .
I stopped asking questions at any of those stores a long time ago. I don't even ask "do you have..." anymore either, because I hate the "how about...instead" comments or blank stares.

anyway, what's the handle like? is it a straight handle, like sledge, but oval thin head? I haven't ever looked for one like that before. I bet it can be found online, which stinks, because I like to check out the grain pattern on every handle in the store before making my selection.

I love HD. I go there to kill time when on deliveries if I'm runnin' ahead of schedule.
I know my local store like the back of my hand. That's the key to gettin in and out fast.
The key to being left alone is,,, don't shave for 3 days, go in with work clothes on lookin' like you jest crawled out of a septic tank, NEVER scratch yer head or rub yer chin, and look every associate in the eye when walking down the isles .
It also helps being 6'5" too!

The bells ,whistles, alarms and ID check at ""self pay with ass-istence"" when buying CO2 cartridges for my nail gun dew pizz me off though!

The Lowes an HD don't seem to have small hatchet handles any more either.
( not that the last one I got there was worth a damn)
Haven't tried ACE yet and TSC is a half hour drive.

This used to be about the most awesome bricks&mortar; hardware store. I haven't been in it since new people took it over.

Eric ever sticks his ugly mugg in here I'll have to ask him . . .

Around here, the local farm supply stores, & lumberyards are pretty much it for axe & sledge handles. I too like hickory, & wanna touch before I buy. Good luck. A C

HD is still good for one thing...

The used rental Makita 6401 saws... I'm really really wanting one, just waiting for a "nearby" (nearest one is 1 hour drive) HD to have one.

The HD's out here (MD) are like that, no workers to be found, and usually no help even if you do. I've only been to a Lowes in MD once, also not good. But the newish Lowes in Marquette, MI has more workers than customers, and they are quite helpful. Of course, many are probably out-of-work tradespeople. (And if sales continue as slow as it always seems when I'm in there, they may soon be out of work yet again.)

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
This used to be about the most awesome bricks&mortar; hardware store. I haven't been in it since new people took it over.

Yup been in there a couple times... grew up in northern ny myself. If your ever in ohio though, check out Lehmans Hardware in Kidron, been to long to remember for sure but I think Lehmans beats it or its real close.

For most things hardware, like plumbing and such, my local ACE beats either one or is at least close enough that the drive isn't worth it. We used to have a locally owned lumber yard in town, but now I have to drive 15 minutes to get to one. That's okay though, it's on the way to Lowe's. The ONLY time I go to Lowe's or HD is Saturday afternoon or Sunday when my local place is closed.

Our HD is OK and prices on most items are good. Knowledge levels of the staff vary widely. The plumbing guy is outstanding. On the other hand, we also have a small family run hardware store in town. I like the ability to purchase 2 screws instead of 20 and the owner usually has creative ideas about "workarounds".

They also stopped carrying the waterproof insulated gloves that I have been using the past few years. Mine had only stupid cotton gloves and "ski" gloves.... Great
Chad

►►OhioBurner◄◄™ said:
ISeeDeadBTUs said:

Yup been in there a couple times... grew up in northern ny myself. If your ever in ohio though, check out Lehmans Hardware in Kidron, been to long to remember for sure but I think Lehmans beats it or its real close.

+2 on Lehman's. I love all the stoves and parts that they have. THey are also online to help those folks that don't live near Canton.

Its the same most anywhere you go.I remember about 20 yrs ago I went to one of the 2 Sutherland's Lumber Yards (They packed up & moved on,just before the first big Menards opened in 1997,long before Lowe's or Home Cheapo opened up here) here one day looking for 3/8" birch dowels.I seen some employee,looked about 15 - you know the type,they know everything,jus' ask 'em. Asked the little punk "What aisle are your birch dowels in?" He replied "Uhmmm what are those?" "Never mind....I'll find 'em myself!"

Now maybe I'm getting old now (am 47),but I can recall going to that same store when I was in high school,telling what I wanted & they not only KNEW what the store's products were,but they TOOK you right to them also!

*sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.