Raw logs to cut and split wood price ratio?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
$225 is the going price for cut, split and delivered tamarack in this area. I have been buying wood out of log deck about a mile from my house. I paid $400 this year for about 8 cords. I cut it, split it, load it, and pay the guy when I catch up with him. Some days I run out of ambition before I run out of room, that is why I say about 8 cords. The $400 is for eight, but like I say, a couple of days I got lazy.

Up here, it costs $350/cord of split jack pine, and $180/cord of logs. $50 delivery for the split stuff on top of the cost, and nobody who delivers logs (unless you're willing to pay $375 delivery fee for 6 cords, which I am not). There is wood everywhere, but you have to work to get it, or pay someone else to do the work for you.

For a pnw data point. I buy logs for about 500$ per 4.5 cords. It’s a full dump truck load of 14’ long green logs from tree service.

Buying split wood is now pushing 300$ per “cord” which will almost always be short. So the ratio is almost 3x.

Oh, I dont mind huge logs. Give me a 40” stem and I’m happy. What I really hate are the “tops” where you get 500 logs with 4-8” diameters . The wood sucks, your back hurts, many many more cuts closer to the ground, and less wood in the end. Ideal is 12-36” just for a nice balance.

For a pnw data point. I buy logs for about 500$ per 4.5 cords. It’s a full dump truck load of 14’ long green logs from tree service.

Buying split wood is now pushing 300$ per “cord” which will almost always be short. So the ratio is almost 3x.

Oh, I dont mind huge logs. Give me a 40” stem and I’m happy. What I really hate are the “tops” where you get 500 logs with 4-8” diameters . The wood sucks, your back hurts, many many more cuts closer to the ground, and less wood in the end. Ideal is 12-36” just for a nice balance.

Its funny how different as a group we are. I like the tops. I like the whole tree, maybe it's the type of wood I choose. Oak tops burn great and it's super easy just cut and stack most of it. I take all my wood out in log lenth and process at my home. Theres no bending over,we put all of the wood up on a pallet table we make and cut them up. I like the trunks the heartwood is great for overnight burning and the logs that are 12 inches are great to run through the 4 way wedge. Ill take whatever I can get my hands on as Long as it's oak, cherry, hickory.

The prices are basically the exact same here about 3,000 miles away! That's very interesting. Though the species are likely different.

Reactions: Highbeam