RE: Article on one woman’s obsession with wood . . . I think she’s perfectly normal . . . but may wa

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like this line: "... looking and feeling like a cross between Clint Eastwood and Gumby..."

But a "mountain of maple, spruce and beech" ? Spruce??? You can burn spruce in Maine? I thought that was illegal.

Even so, it does seem a little odd to have it mixed in with a load of hardwood. At 3/5ths the BTUs, I wonder if the price per cord was prorated ac-cord-ingly.

You know I missed that part about the spruce . . . it does sound a bit odd when most folks up here do not cut or burn the softwood for their woodstove . . . missed that part completely.

I grew up in Maine, not too far from Fort Kent actually.

My folks still live there.

Didn't burn much spruce but once in a while pine and spruce made it into the pile.

So hot. Reminds me of when my wife and I first met. I think when she was walking down the aisle she was smiling because she didn't have to cut another stick of firewood.

Does she split the wood? No mention of that part of the process. She complained about being sore from using the chainsaw. That's the cake work.

Also anyone else notice that in the comments below someone linked hearth.com as "a great resource for newbie and veteran woodburners alike". Pretty funny.

The wood culture is so different on the Eastern seaboard. Out west you are fortunate to find hardwood if you can call it that. I have had the privilege to burn beech once, it was nice. The maple out here is western big leave, not like the sugar maple ETC. back there. Any way before I stray too far from the OP. This woman is very normal and might I say a good example to the rest of us who live by the Axe, Maul, & Saw. BE PREPARED! I'm not this year.

I read that article pretty quick but it sounds like she put 4+ cords of wet unseasoned wood in her basement?!?!? If thats true it will be raining inside her house the humidity will be so high due to the wood drying out. I'd be real nervous even if the 4+ cords were well seasoned with the potential for bugs and critters....

BurnIt13 said:
I read that article pretty quick but it sounds like she put 4+ cords of wet unseasoned wood in her basement?!?!? If thats true it will be raining inside her house the humidity will be so high due to the wood drying out. I'd be real nervous even if the 4+ cords were well seasoned with the potential for bugs and critters....

Sounds like that to me too.

Sounds like Bob is doing MOST if not ALL of the work. And she's not burning well seasoned wood.

Hope Bob is getting something out of this deal.

bsearcey said:
Does she split the wood? No mention of that part of the process. She complained about being sore from using the chainsaw. That's the cake work.

Also anyone else notice that in the comments below someone linked hearth.com as "a great resource for newbie and veteran woodburners alike". Pretty funny.

Uh yeah . . . that someone would have been me! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.