RE: Just a dumb firefighter/woodburner's answers to frequently asked questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jags said:
Nate Finch said:
Awesome thread. Really great information for this newbie. It's great to have all this in one place. Thanks!

Welcome Nate - as a newbie, remember that there is tons of info out in the hearth wiki. Our resident Fireman has a way with words - lots of 'em ;-P . Stick around, this is a great forum that has many folks with tons of collective knowledge and a good helping of humor thrown in to boot.

Yeah, I'm not exactly fitting in the mold of the tactiturn, quick-witted Maine Yankee . . . folks who know me say I tend to use a lot more words than I need to . . . and my wife says I often wax on and on about nothing.

firefighterjake said:
Jags said:
Nate Finch said:
Awesome thread. Really great information for this newbie. It's great to have all this in one place. Thanks!

Welcome Nate - as a newbie, remember that there is tons of info out in the hearth wiki. Our resident Fireman has a way with words - lots of 'em ;-P . Stick around, this is a great forum that has many folks with tons of collective knowledge and a good helping of humor thrown in to boot.

Yeah, I'm not exactly fitting in the mold of the tactiturn, quick-witted Maine Yankee . . . folks who know me say I tend to use a lot more words than I need to . . . and my wife says I often wax on and on about nothing.

Jake - for the record, I think your initial posting was spot on. Keep it going, I think it will make for a great wiki.

What is this "tunnel of love" method I keep hearing about? I tried to Google it but got information that didn't really apply to heating with wood.
In general... is there a good thread here that will explain some burning methods other than just throwing some wood in or the old boy scout tee pee or log home?

chris-mcpherson said:
What is this "tunnel of love" method I keep hearing about? I tried to Google it but got information that didn't really apply to heating with wood.
In general... is there a good thread here that will explain some burning methods other than just throwing some wood in or the old boy scout tee pee or log home?

I imagine googling "tunnel of love" might come up with all kinds of strange and R-rated sites . . . but I think what you would find is that it refers in this case to digging out a trench in the coals near the incoming air . . . then again I could be wrong.

As for info on burning methods . . . I think I mentioned this in this thread . . . but you can also do a search for "top down" method for starting a fire . . . this is a method I use now and many others have found it to be quite useful as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.