Re: Prime rib

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
So I'm trying to convince my wife to buy a roast this year for the holidays since I am not a huge fan of the ham . . . plus we still have left overs from the last ham somewhere in the freezer.\

The only concern is we have never made prime rib on our own and she's a little leery of buying an expensive cut of meat only to have it come out tough or just bleeehhhhh.

Anyone have recommendations on how to make a good, trouble-free and delicious prime rib with au jus?

Last edited:
low and slow....

Reactions: Tar12
Easiest thing in the world to cook all different ways - studied them all, tried most - smoker, oven, high heat first then low, high heat then off, low the whole time....always comes out better than a decent steak. Get one this week at Shaws, they're 4.99/lb! Hamburg is close to that sometimes! Make some slits in the top to stick some garlic cloves into, salt and pepper the outside, put on a bed of veggies in a roasting pan, and use an instant read thermometer when you think it's close to done.

First mistake I made was buying a 7 ribs for 7 people - regular, human portion size should be somewhere around 1 rib for two people. Lots of leftovers that year.

My method for years. first off buy digital thermometer. set temp setting 125* rare, 130* med(bone in 3-5*higher). anything higher you'll ruin roast. set oven 500*. season (I',m a basic k.salt and pepper, lots big pc. of meat). place in oven 15 mins. ,lower heat to 200*. size and time 1 1/2-2 1/2 hours. again you gotta have digital thermometer. Don't open oven, believe thermometer. Cover with foil and rest, lrg. roasts will keep at serving tamp for a long time. I've let some sit for an hour and they are fine. regardless it's gotta rest> enjoy. Merry Christmas.

for jus. drain fatin separator if you have one. in roasting pan, whisk gramonions from bottom of pan. bring to a boil and add a little water as needed. taste for season, strain and serve.

Yorkshire, easy while roast is resting and always a fav. lots of recipes on line 3 ingredients plus 1tsp salt. use drained fat from roast. great in a round cast iron skillet or cup cake pan. don't open oven, ever.til 30 mins.

Last edited:
Prime rib came out great for our first attempt.

Seasoned it yesterday with a salt, pepper, garlic, sugar and soy sauce mix . . . seared it on high and then went low and slow for the remainder of the surprisingly short cooking time.

Only issue was that it was a small cut (3 lbs.) so it ended up tipping over at some point and some of the drippings did not end up in the pan.

Prime rib came out great for our first attempt.

Seasoned it yesterday with a salt, pepper, garlic, sugar and soy sauce mix . . . seared it on high and then went low and slow for the remainder of the surprisingly short cooking time.

Only issue was that it was a small cut (3 lbs.) so it ended up tipping over at some point and some of the drippings did not end up in the pan.

That's how I would have done it. Picts or it didn't happen... ;)

Just make sure you get it to at least 175 deg for food safety. ;)

Just make sure you get it to at least 175 deg for food safety. ;)

None of the recipes mentioned getting it that hot . . . most suggested 120-140 degrees F for medium rare prime rib.

Reactions: Doug MacIVER
Reactions: HisTreeNut
None of the recipes mentioned getting it that hot . . . most suggested 120-140 degrees F for medium rare prime rib.

LOL, I was joking about the 175, FFJ. The temps you listed are right in line, with 140 being the absolute max. I hope you enjoyed it!!

LOL, I was joking about the 175, FFJ. The temps you listed are right in line, with 140 being the absolute max. I hope you enjoyed it!!

Ah ... I missed the ;) in the post ... and yeah I loved the prime rib. Other than breakfast I've had prime rib for the last three meals.

That's how I would have done it. Picts or it didn't happen... ;)

Well I'm afraid at this point all the picture would show is a small slab of beef or an empty bowl ... depends on whether my wife ate the last bit for dinner or not.

Ah ... I missed the ;) in the post ... and yeah I loved the prime rib. Other than breakfast I've had prime rib for the last three meals.

why not for breakfast? its great on a breakfast sandwich, with a runny fried egg.... and a touch of horseradish sauce....

Is there anything prime rib doesn't go well with? It's like bacon, it's good with anything.

Is there anything prime rib doesn't go well with? It's like bacon, it's good with anything.
If I could figure a way to incorporate bacon, prime rib, cheesecake, & coffee into a single dish...I might have the perfect food. ;) :) lol

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

If I could figure a way to incorporate bacon, prime rib, cheesecake, & coffee into a single dish...I might have the perfect food. ;) :) lol

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk
prime rib with a coffee bacon cheesecake jus

Season with equal parts salt and pepper. Usually around 1 tablespoon.
Dice fresh garlic..or use a press.

Rub it all over. Leave it for 1-3 days.

High 450 for 20 mins. Reduce to 350 for the rest of the cook and 10-13 mins per lb.

Internal temp 110 for rare.

Let sit for 30 mins covered in foil.

I just did my 3rd roast. Comes out great every time.