RE: Pros and cons . . . Heating with wood and pelletstoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pro wood: good system for those of us who do not mind or even like and prefer managing such aspects as heating the home, plenty of work to do keeping up with wood heat, as already pointed out. Wood heating requires involvement of time and effort, even more so if one cuts and hauls and splits and stacks his own supply. The effort involves significant physical exertion and, as I said before, time.

There are many who prefer to work more for income and pay for someone else to do much of this, even if they heat with wood. One must determine which category fits them to predict how they'll settle into heating with firewood. As with any effort, many think wood heating is a great idea until a year or two into it when they are sick of all the effort. Of course, they can then decide to purchase cords of wood. I'm in the camp of rather doing the work myself and not working as much for wages. I find myself in the minority by a rather large margin.

Haven't used pellets...less labor and time though still not as simple and more time-consuming than adjusting a thermostat and paying the monthly energy bill.

Con wood: see above. Plus, even with a couple of BlueAir filters going 24/7, and having used wood burning for heat and baking for 35 yr., we still have constant dust, some of which is from the stoves. Some is from windy weather [often] and semi-desert area with very dry conditions. But much of it is from the stoves. There are chores such as cleaning out ash pans, checking flues and so forth. More time.....

Another wood benefit: pleasant heat. People with wood stoves tend to linger near the stove in cold weather, even turning subconsciously to warm themselves all around. A friend once noted that even in the summer, hot weather and no stove burning, he and his wife would occasionally find themselves doing this at the stove, talking over something and turning every now and then. They were pretty amused; after he mentioned it, I caught myself doing it a couple times. The point is, a wood stove is a comfort. One of life's pleasures.

I don't recall ever seeing anyone turning slowly around the vent for a forced-air heater.

A friend of mine burned wood for quite a number of years, but changed to a pellet stove a few years ago because she finally figured out that she was allergic to the mold on the firewood. And with the kind of house they have it wasn't convenient to have to go outside everytime they wanted a stick of wood to put on the fire. So going to pellets made a lot of sense to them and she's doing better in the winter now.

Poult

How about a carbon footprint comparison between wood/pellets and other sorces of heat. Let the folks know that most power grids are around 30% efficient by the time they turn the oil or gas into electricity and we then use a resistance heater to turn it back into into heat.

That said, I'm guessing the electric company has brought you in as more of a safety expert vice "Global Warming" guy, hoping to keep customers using electric heating sources (OK, that is quite cynical, but I'm in that kind of a mood). Let us know how much they highlight your firefighter background when they introduce you.

Thanks for the replies folks . . . I finished the Power Point Presentation and will be presenting next Wednesday for this event.

firefighterjake said:
I finished the Power Point Presentation and will be presenting next Wednesday for this event.

Well heck..if I knew it was going to be a PP presentation, I would have created a slide with sound depicting this one:
Wood working will give you wood.
Burning propane will give you gas.

oconnor said:
How about a carbon footprint comparison between wood/pellets and other sorces of heat. Let the folks know that most power grids are around 30% efficient by the time they turn the oil or gas into electricity and we then use a resistance heater to turn it back into into heat.

That said, I'm guessing the electric company has brought you in as more of a safety expert vice "Global Warming" guy, hoping to keep customers using electric heating sources (OK, that is quite cynical, but I'm in that kind of a mood). Let us know how much they highlight your firefighter background when they introduce you.

Actually, believe it or not, the local utility company isn't that bad . . . of course they'll publish their own stuff showing how "clean" electrical heat is and how safe it is . . . but last year they were very good about not down playing wood heat (I would suspect a good number have woodstoves or pellestoves in their own homes since it seems as though Maine has a pretty high population of wood-fuel users). In fact, they also came out to our own Open House with a display on electrical space heaters. More over, I offered them a choice of topics to speak on this year (i.e. fire extinguisher use, new safety devices, etc.) and they opted for the woodstoves/woodpellet presentation.

Slow1 . . . I received your PM and have sent you a copy of the PP Presentation . . . feel free to critique it if you want.

I enjoy the exercise and usually cut enough wood to last 2 years each time I do it. I order log lengths in bulk from local tree guy and get a cord for about $75USD. Between gas(splitter, tractor, saw) and chains etc... I think processing costs me about another $15 per cord so I am at $90. So I would say cost is a pro to oil/electric. Cleaning the flu is a major con when burning wood over conventional heat. I go through approx 4cords per season and have to clean the flu about 2 to 3 times per season. I do love the outdoors and exercise involved in getting my fuel.

jake my friend, if i havent said it yet , i will now , thanks for doing what you do!

ok, back to the post. one of the biggest things in my opinion is both a pro and a con depending on viewpoint.

alternative heat (wood or pellet) is a lifestyle. many folks who do not heat with a stove take heat for granted, its the box on the wall until the bill comes in the mail. then , its still the box on the wall.

making the decision to heat with a stove is a lifestyle change, maintainence becomes a need, gathering fuel and storing it (especially with log stoves) becomes a need. some folks simply do not adjust well to it , many others do, and find themselves realizing the benefits which you dont see in the checkbook; exercise, togetherness, (many families stack even split wood as a group, my dad and i did while i was growing up) a sense of well being or accomplishment, and others im sure i havent mentioned.

heating becomes a hobby, a challenge to ones self, a reintroduction to nature in many cases, learning species of trees, gaining respect for nature.

pelletheads comparing brands, looking for deals coming up with cleaning tricks and along with the loggies figuring out how to best move heat.

then you find hearth .com and all hell breaks loose :p

stoveguy2esw said:
jake my friend, if i havent said it yet , i will now , thanks for doing what you do!

. . .

then you find hearth .com and all hell breaks loose :p

Not to derail my own thread, but . . .

Right back at ya Mike . . . no thanks are needed . . . it's a job . . . no better or no worse than any other profession whether it be a waiter, guy pumping gas, school teacher, businessman or even a guy who makes great stoves to keep friends and family warm during the winter! ;)

Folks are always trying to make firefighters into heros . . . the truth is . . . it's a job . . . albeit a job where occasionally, once in a great while, there comes a time or a chance to perhaps do something that some might consider heroic . . . that's the only real difference . . . anyone can be a hero . . . it's just seizing the moment when the opportunity arrives and making that decision to act or not act.

And on another topic . . . gotta love hearth.com . . . it gives me the opportunity to seem a lot smarter than I actually am. Just the other day in fact I was able to come up with a possible solution for a friend of my wife who bought one of your Englander pelletstoves last year (long story short she was having pellets hang up in the hopper and the stove would die out in middle of the night -- thanks to hearth.com I was able to give her some great (easy and inexpensive) suggestions that have worked for other pelletstove users with the same problem . . . and in the process appeared to be very smart . . . great illusion, huh?)

Status
Not open for further replies.