Really Big Red Oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BigV

Oct 1, 2006
Akron, OH
Scored on a really BIG red oak last week. It was estimated at 250 years old and was listed as a historical landmark in Summit County OH. The homeowners insurance company dropped his homeowners coverage until it was cut down, I got all the wood. My son is setting on top of one large chunk. The trunk (about 15 feet tall) is still standing in the background.
MattBigTree.jpg

Holy crap! Are you cutting it all up for firewood, or can you take it to a mill for some cash?

Todd said:
Holy crap! Are you cutting it all up for firewood, or can you take it to a mill for some cash?

Firewood it is (or will be).
It was in a backyard of a house since 1957 and no lumber yard would touch it (nails and such). It was chucked into 6' sections that weighed 4,000 pounds each. We haven't even gotten to the REALLY BIG stuff yet!

That would have been a sight to watch being taken down. How the heck are you cutting that beast up?

Buy that kid a six pack. And send him over here. I have a couple around 2/3 that size that need to get done this year. I can drop'em and buck'em. It is the next part that sucks. :ahhh:

We need a movie of the 8 lb maul taking that sucker down into splits. :)

heatit said:
That would have been a sight to watch being taken down. How the heck are you cutting that beast up?

Looks like he has the right tool in his hands to deal with it right there. ;-)

north of 60 said:
heatit said:

No, the right tool(s) would be a 3120 and/or a 880. ;)

I dream of finding trees like that so I can let the big dogs eat! :cheese:

So what does the tree measure at BH?

Wet1 said:
north of 60 said:
heatit said:

No, the right tool(s) would be a 3120 and/or a 880. ;)

I dream of finding trees like that so I can let the big dogs eat! :cheese:

So what does the tree measure at BH?

+1 long day with that saw

That tree will keep you warm for a few years., and is too big for me to process.

I use a Stihl MS 880 with a 59” bar to tackle the bigger stuff. With a sharp chain, the 880 went through the red oak like sawing through butter!

BigV said:
I use a Stihl MS 880 with a 59” bar to tackle the bigger stuff. With a sharp chain, the 880 went through the red oak like sawing through butter!
Knew you would have to throw it out there sooner or later

I think my log lifter may have just met its match. What would you estimate an 18" thick round to weigh on that big bastage? 600+ maybe??

Jags said:
I think my log lifter may have just met its match. What would you estimate an 18" thick round to weigh on that big bastage? 600+ maybe??
I would guess 500 to 600 pounds. We used wedges and sledge hammers to split them into 6 pieces. The pieces were still a handfull to carry to the trailer!

BigV said:
Jags said:
I would guess 500 to 600 pounds. We used wedges and sledge hammers to split them into 6 pieces. The pieces were still a handfull to carry to the trailer!

Yep, 100# blocks are not real fun to carry around.
I guess at 600# my log lifter would survive. ;-P The winch I use is rated for 1500#.
Work carefully with those big suckers, one wrong move and they can hurt ya. Make sure that young stud boy of yours is pay'in attention too. On occasion I play with big rounds too. I just make sure my feet are paying attention to what my brain tells them to do.

BigV said:
Now that's the right tool for the job! :coolsmile:

Kinda sad to see a tree like that taken down; that tree's been there longer and will likely be around after than ins. company is long gone. Personally if I had a 150+ year oak in my yard that was healthy, I would tell the ins. to shove it and find a different provider. If I absolutely had to take it down, I wouldn't burn (all of) it. Furniture, floors, or artwork of some sort would be in the works.

We had a similar deal with our ins company at the camp. Shortly after I told them to pound it and they canceled because of the trees, one came down and took a corner of the barn. It took me most of the weekends that summer and fall to get it off the barn and fix the roof. I had my logger take the rest of the big trees that could severely damage any of the buildings down that winter. There are now a bunch of stumps big enough for the family to hang out on together and the taxes were paid in pine that year.

Wow, that is a big red oak. I wonder how many cords of wood there is?

So V, tell us the whole process of transporting and processing that Beast. And most importantly include the equipment, you'll use. Thanks

Arc_Dad said:
So V, tell us the whole process of transporting and processing that Beast. And most importantly include the equipment, you'll use. Thanks

Pretty basic stuff really.
The large pieces were processed the old fashion way, mauls and sledge hammer to make the pieces manageable. We use railroad tie tongs to lift and carry heavy pieces into the trailer.
Then a Tractor Supply 22 ton splitter will do the rest.
Here's a picture of the first trailer load as it gets to my back yard.

trailerload.jpg

About 1/3 of the tree. This picture just doesn't do justice to how much is actually there
SmallPortion.jpg

My stack.
Stacked.jpg

Work in process
WorkinProcess.jpg

HOLLY MOLY !!! I feel bad that a tree like was taken down but under the circumstances it doesnt sound like ther was much choice and boy did you ever make out. How many cords you reckin you got there?

I am drooling...

Status
Not open for further replies.