Really Big Red Oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to hijack the thread... but that is a pretty sweet trailer you have there too. Can you PM me some details? Cost, size, if you'd buy it again... does it have electric brakes? How much weight.. you know... the basics!

When I was sawing lumber or logging, I'd given a lot for that tree...if it were in the woods so as not to have to worry so much about hardware in it. That would be a joy sawing that bugger.

Congratulations on a fine bunch of firewood.

BigV - looks like you got this wood processing thing down to a science.

Woodsman - everybody has opinions on trailers - heres mine. I had a trailer very similar to BigV's. I found out that working alone (as I usually do), that I wasn't man enough to cut and load that entire trailer before I was a worn out puppy. I downsized for that reason (5x10 @ 3500# axle) and won't look back. Now...If you gots a need for a bigger trailer, thats a whole nuther thing.

Jags said:
I downsized for that reason (5x10 @ 3500# axle) and won't look back.

Second that and put a hydraulic cylinder under the bed because you are always tired when it is time to unload it.

That's a beautiful wood pile, absolutely beautiful especially when it's all from one tree. Had a similar situation around here with a maple. The trunk on the bottom was over 10 ft diameter before it split off into two. Someone else cut it down and I got much of the wood. It too was a yard tree which took out many saw blades in the process of blocking it up. Fortunately, we had some hydraulics to help with the larger stumps. One was so large that the grabber couldn't pick it up (too heavy!). Anyway, I managed to drive away with probably 4-5 cords. Another guy got more than I did, he's got an outdoor burner. Just a huge sucker, but like the oak here it needed to come down. It was located on a school playground and too close to the building. Ins added $250 to the cost of cutting it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.